can worms thrive with other animals?

CelbriseOctober 1, 2012

i got a worm bin with both worms and millipedes. the millipedes are herbivores and not dangerous but i read up they excrete some sort of toxic thing when they feel provoked. i was wondering if i could keep them together they practically have the same conditions to meet. right now i don't have a lot of worms but i will be buying in a few weeks but i just wanted to know if this is possible or should i remove the millipedes i got about 10 -15 of them maybe more their all small as well about 1 inch long only

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeterK2

Should be fine. I've got no end of creatures in my bin although none as large as a millipede. And in outdoor bins you'll be getting these creatures whether you like it or not and the worms still do fine. It can be a good thing as different creatures get attracted to different foodstuffs. In some cases an issue might be competition for food, black soldier flies for example.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:04PM
Celbrise

competition for food is not a problem i have tons of food i am just worried the millipedes will excrete that so called toxic liquid on the worms and kill them off.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:01PM
3DinAz

Millipedes shouldnt be a problem since they are detritivores...pretty much like worms. The ony issue I would be concerned with is taking steps to ensure that they are not allowed to run rampant in your soil that you transplant the harvested vermicompost to if you will be growing seedlings and young plants. If I understand things correctly, millipedes being detritivores will typically feed on decaying plant matter but will also readily go after young plants and seeds. Up until that point though, they should be a pretty good addition to the vermicomposting effort.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 3:06PM
Celbrise

yea i believe i read that up somewhere as well. i got my millipedes in my garden we keep out compost pile their so their is more food for them to handle. and it is an endless supply due to trimming anyways.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Sponsored Products
Hamilton Beach 25332 Easy-Clean Indoor Grill
Overstock.com
Blue 3528 Quad Row LED Strip Light 450/m 28mm wide 3.2m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Trim Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Bellows III Outdoor Ceiling Fan by Craftmade
$399.60 | Lumens
Hinkley Lighting | Cherry Creek Large Outdoor Wall Light
$339.00 | YLighting