Need vine ID

pattipi703September 20, 2007

I think this is a wild vine. It has two tiny sweet pea-like flowers together(but very tiny). Hanging below each pair of flowers is a 3-4" long pea pod & another "spike" that looks like a false pea pod. I know this souds like some kind of sweet pea, but the leaves are not like any pea I can find on the web. Each leaf has 3 rounded lobes, kind of like an oak lead. the vine is delicate also & quite beautiful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
legumefinder(z6 TN)

Hello pattipi703,
It sounds like phaseolus sinuatus. There are only a couple of images of it on google, but if you look for phaseolus polystachios on the USDA website there is one thumbnail of a vine with lobed leaves and a long stem of flowers. Also the spike that looks like a false peapod could be an immature pod. Hope this helps,
Dave.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 11:41AM
pattipi703

Thanks, legumefinder. You.re right, the pics are pretty poor, however,on going down several rabbit trails on the subject, I found a pic of phaseolus polystachios that looks more like it. The leaves in the pic have more pointed lobes, but the material says there are many varieties. I don't think the spike is an immature bean, because every pair is identical. Thanks for your help. I have the vine on a small stick trellis & it is quite lovely whatever it is.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 12:02PM
legumefinder(z6 TN)

Do you have any seeds of this vine that you would like to swap for phaseolus filiformis seeds? I have over 50 of these seeds and will send all of them for about 8-10 of your seeds. I'll be glad to send my seeds out first, but I'll have to go get some stamps first.
Dave.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 10:56AM
legumefinder(z6 TN)

If you do have seeds and are interested in trading you can email me at seed4me@yahoo.com, just be sure to make the subject about seed trading.
Dave.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 12:47PM
legumefinder(z6 TN)

Hi Pat,
I got your last email and was wandering if you received my messages?

Dave.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™