Hummingbird feeder and bees

choo(z8 TX)April 11, 2007

Help! The bees found my hummingbird feeders and are now swarming my feeders and my yard. I've had these feeders out for two summers and this is the first time I've had this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheezcayke(8b/9a)

Do your feeders have yellow centers? From what I understand the bees are attracted to the yellow.

They make some feeders now without any yellow on them.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 4:45PM
choo(z8 TX)

They do...but they've been up for two years and were never bothered by bees. I guess the bees just happened to notice them this year.

Can anyone recommend a good bee-proof feeder. Does anyone have a Humzinger? Do they work?

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 1:25PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Yes, I use the humzinger style with 3 feeding stations (since hummers don't like to share, I never see more than one at time at it anyway). It has an ant guard in the middle you keep water in to keep the ants out. Since they feed from the top, the hummers bill will go far enough down into the nectar, but bees can't get to it. The only thing I get in mine are small flying insects that can fit thru the feeding holes. They also don't drip, so don't have to worry about what's beneath it. Best hummer feeder I've had.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 2:44PM
tess_tx

choo...I had that problem with one of mine early this year (it did have yellow but wasn't a problem last year) that was next to a blooming yellow plant so I moved it and put a solid red one and that seems to have solved the problem.

debndal...I would have said the exact same thing last year but this year my hummers have been behaving very differently, every night at sundown there is a feeding frenzy and most if not all of my feeders are standing room only!

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 3:02PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I hope there's nothing happening out there in the wild that is causing food shortages for hummers this year and causing them alot of stress. I've yet to see one yet in my yard in DFW area but I work, so don't get to watch for them except on weekends. Still haven't seen any bees either and I have flowers blooming they ought to be after. I don't use chemicals so know that's not a problem. I hope the strange behavior of the hummers isn't a sign.....I'd hate to see the same thing happen to hummers as is happening in some areas with the bees.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 3:18PM
choo(z8 TX)

Thanks for the feedback. I bought a Humzinger today and can't wait to see how that works out. I think I'll wait a day or two to put it out so that maybe the bees will have a chance to go elsewhere.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 7:04PM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

I would imagine by now you know that bees are disappearing all over the world. If you are that lucky to have some, I hope you realize the treasure you have. Just move that feeder, but I hope you keep it full for them, too.

Xtal

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 9:43PM
beeanne

I doubt she is having a problem with Honey bees, which are the ones mysteriously disapearing. If they are honey bees , I'm with you. Let's feed them too. Give them their own feeders! :-)
My guess is she has yellowjackets. She needs to make sure her feeders aren't leaking, do away with the yellow, and make sure there are bee guards.
I mostly have problems with the occasional wasp at the feeders and ants under the feeders, if there is the slightest spill. By the way, my feeders have always had the yellow parts. I haven't had enough problem with bees or wasps, to bother changing to the new way.

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Golden groundsel - evergreen groundcover for rabbit infested shade
The past few seasons we've been trying to find a ground...
bostedo
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
What is this plant?
Need help identifying this plant. It is growing in...
stephendbrown
Sponsored Products
Fantasy Hummingbird Wind Catcher
$12.99 | zulily
Oakland Living Dining Furniture Hummingbird 3-Piece Bistro Set 3205-AB
Home Depot
Tiffany Style Flowery Table Lamp with Hummingbird Base
ParrotUncle
Moonrays Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Outdoor Glass and Polyresin Solar Powered
$18.99 | Home Depot
Kate Spain Daydream Quilt Set Orange - 2H7866Q4OG
$119.99 | Hayneedle