Sources for Cacti in DFW Area

cairnqueenApril 26, 2013

Hoping to get some recommendations for nurseries in the DFW area that carry a good selection of cacti. I'm trying to avoid running all over the metroplex without an idea of which nurseries carry a decent selection.

I'm looking for a cactus (possibly a variety of prickly pear) to put in a large pot on my unshaded patio in Carrollton. I'm definitely open to recommendations on cactus variety as well. I'd love one that blooms pink or red. The pot it will go in is about 18-24 inches in diameter and about the same depth. The diameter tapers towards the bottom of the pot.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

Have you been to Orand Nursery? It's in Fort Worth, but I don't know of a better nursery for cacti in DFW.

I'm not sure which species of cactus I would use. Opuntia cochenillifera has red flowers but is more of a winter bloomer. Summer-blooming prickly pears tend to have yellow flowers, but you may be able to find a red-flowered one.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Orand Nursery

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:25PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Opuntia cochinelifera is not winter hardy n Dallas. Most of the large O. cochinelliferas in Austin were killed a couple of years ago. Opuntia Chenile blooms red and is hardier. CYlindropuntia imbricata blooms magenta and can put on some size and is cold hardy up to Colorado. There are some friendlier varieties that are not that loaded with needles. Their bloom period is fairly short. Gorgeous but short. Opuntia chenille has pretty large glochid spots. Cylindropuntia klieniae has rose blooms and is "twiggier" in structure. I have them growing Tall out a bed of glistening white Cylindropuntia whipplei that stays short and shrubby.

Cold Hardy cactus nursery is a good place to study species online

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold hardy Cactus Nursery (opuntia page)

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:51AM
cairnqueen

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions. I found Orands in a web search. Was hoping to find something closer, but it sounds like I need to make a field trip to Fort Worth. That will give me an excuse to swing by Weston Gardens as well to see what they have on the perennial front.

I'll do some reading on the cold hardy cactus page and see what looks appealing. I really appreciate the feedback. Cacti are a new area of interest for me, so I'm in the learning phase.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:52AM
ogrose_tx

Hi cairnqueen, I live in Carrollton, too, and have a cactus that has babies, they're small, but you're welcome to one if you're interested. I don't know the first thing about cacti; my brother brought it to me from New Mexico. It just got done blooming, the color is pink.

Email me if you're interested!

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Setting your profile to let people message you ...
With the old GW my preferences were set to let everyone...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™