Got some, now what do I do with it?

chilipete(7)October 6, 2009

Hey,

A year ago I started my first worm bin. I think its ready to harvest now. I used a rubbermaid plastic bin, I think 13 gallons, which is about 1/3 full of worm compost. I wasn't sure what to do with it now. I started it because my garden has horrible soil. One area I use as a small rose garden. The other main area I use as a butterfly garden, which I plant mainly annuals. My garden is just about done for the year - the annuals are dying off and the roses are going to start shutting down for the winter.

There are 3 options I can think of:

1)Save it until the spring. If I put out the compost now, will it be "gone" by the spring when I really want the soil to be nice and fertile?

2) Put it around the roses. If I do this, how much should I put around each rose to make a difference and really enrich the soil?

3) Spread it around the butterfly garden area. If I do this, how deep a layer should I put? Also is it enough to just spread it or should I somehow dig I hole or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. It took a year to get this stuff, I would hate to waste it by doing something stupid like spreading it too thin or putting it down now when I should have waited until next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fosteem1

You can save the compost until spring without any loss of viability. Just keep it warm and damp in a ventilated container, an old worm bin would be perfect.

In addition to storing the compost you will be able to save the baby worms as they hatch out.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Seed Swap
Due to Garden Web being houzz and everybody being unhappy,...
equinoxequinox
Chuckie's shoe totes
I'm gearing up for spring and milk jug AACT to use...
smdmt
Wierd goings on
2 bins. One has vent holes along the sides the other...
greengrass12
Worms and Burlap
I understand there have been many posts on burlap....
hummersteve
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
Sponsored Products
Floral Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group FSN-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Dark Bronze
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Merdolino Toilet Brush by Alessi
$58.00 | Lumens
Greenington | Juniper Tall Console/Bar Table
YLiving.com
Espirit Crystal Vase
Classic Hostess
Men's Rashguard
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™