Confederate Jasmine

ruthzSeptember 29, 2010

Today I noticed seed pods on my Confederate Jasmine.

I've had it for years and it's never made seeds before.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

jeff_al wrote:

"my confederate jasmine makes a few seeds. you might look for those before they prune it. the pods are long and thin, somewhat bean-like or like a mini-catalpa pod. the seeds themselves are like giant dandelion seeds, with the little parachute at the top."

doityourself.com says:

Obtaining Your Jasmine seeds

Jasmine flowers can be pollinated by either insects, or by the gardener, taking care not to damage the flower stems. Once fertilized, the jasmine plants will start to produce jasmine seeds within a pod.

Jasmine plants produce bean-like seed pods, which need to be watched carefully if you intend to plant them in order to produce seedlings. These jasmine seeds pods can break open suddenly once the pod is ripe, and spill the seeds everywhere.

Catching the ripe pods before they open means that you can save the seeds: look for the pod turning brown, as this is the sign that it has ripened and is about to burst.

Preparing the Seeds

These seeds will need to be soaked prior to planting, in order to make them slightly softer. Once they have been soaked, plant them into a starting seed mix, and cover lightly with soil.

Jasmine seeds need to be kept warm in order to encourage germination, and if they are kept warm enough, the seeds should germinate within a month.

Transplanting the Seeds

Once a jasmine seed has begun to grow, the plant should be moved to a planter or small flower pot, using either a mixture of soil and fertilizer, or a combination of moss, bark, and fertilizer.

Bed the plant down in this, and water heavily. Once the jasmine has settled in to the pot, ensure that it is watered regularly, and does not dry out.

Jasmines grown from seedlings should be examined closely to ensure that they do not develop white rot and mold; seedlings grown in this way are vulnerable to a mold which causes the plant to develop black spots and rot away.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/growing-and-planting-jasmine-from-seeds#ixzz12Zibet91

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™