American Wisteria leaves have yellow/brown spots & coppery sheen

Lynn NevinsSeptember 3, 2012

I have a potted American Wisteria...about 4 months old. It's growing really well. But I notice that a number of leaves have an almost gold/coppery sheen to them...and bits of yellow/brown spots. Some of the leaves then turn outright yellow.

Overall the bulk of the leaves look very healthy and green but I am concerned that these other leaves are showing the start of some kind of disease or something?

I do periodically spray the plant with Soap Shield and Pyola, just as a preventative measure....

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I suspect that it is because it is in a pot rather than being a disease. How big is the container? What is the potting medium? And have you fed it? These can grow enormous and in a pot they are going to need a lot of care. If it is stressed by lack of food and moisture, which would be likely in a pot, it could exhibit premature fall symptoms.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 1:31PM
Lynn Nevins

The potting medium is some type of organic potting soil mixed with a good amount of vermic. I water it every 1-2 days until water comes out the bottom and feed it fish fertilizer now and then.

The pot is about 20".

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:25PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

They are going dormant now - the leaves will all fall, so you can cut it back when that happens, to the SIXTH set of nodes from the main trunk.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 6:25PM
Lynn Nevins

Thanks but...this started back in mid-August. Could dormancy have been the explanation back then...was it already going dormant?

Tx

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 10:34PM
mistascott(7A VA)

Mine is huge, but it is quite normal for the foliage to turn yellow in places as the summer wears on. As long as the plant shows healthy new growth and the abnormal coloring is here and there and not all over, I wouldn't worry -- these are tough plants.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™