help needed with ID

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)September 9, 2010

I have been searching for hours, literally, for an ID for a vine that is growing on the fence at the local Co-op Extension office - teh Horticultural agent is stumped! The vne is perennial, with a base resembling a grapevine - indeed, the whole vine's appearance is reminiscent of a grapevine except for the leaves. The leaves are deltoid, simple, serrate, unlobed, slightly acuminate. Tendrils are few, and short, but soon thicken to the diameter of a shoelace, staying green. Leaves do not seem to follow a pattern; some are in pairs, some are not. I do not remember seeing bloooms, so they must not be very prominent. I believe the vine is deciduous. It currently has abundant fruit; these are berries the size of a large English pea and are a medium reddish purple at first, later becomng a very dark reddish purple. The pulp is very white and opaque. The odor of the fruit and of the crushed leaves is not remarkable. The clusters of fruit - I do not have the correct term, but the arrangement is similar to that of Ampelopsis, which it definitely is not!

Thanks in advance for any leads. Tomorrow I hope to take a photo and post it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poisondartfrog

Impossible to say without photos, but it kind of sounds like Frostgrape, Vitis vulpina. Are the leaves smooth or are they "hairy"?
I see it growing here in partly sunny or lightly shaded situations on the edges of woodlands but I have also seen it in full sun around utility poles in very poor clayey soil.
Alana

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Vine Trellis in Back yard
We just moved into a new house in January, now that...
zoemaura
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
are ficus pumila bad for stucco walls?
if the building itself is made of wood, and it has...
preppystud
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Sponsored Products
Sunnydaze Richfield Solar on Demand Two-Tiered Birdbath Fountain, 32 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
Elizabethan Classics Bathtubs 71 in. Double Slipper Tub with Oil Rubbed Bronze
Home Depot
Outdoor Wicker Neutral Brown Recling Lounge Chair - Set of 2 - 270176
$804.99 | Hayneedle
Cosby Leather Sectional - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
NuForm 11-inch Full XL-size Memory Foam Mattress with Two Bonus Memory Foam Pill
Overstock.com
Pixelated Wall Clock
| Dot & Bo
Justice Design Group GLA-8911 - Capellini 1 Light Wall Sconce - Tulip with Rippl
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Posh Silver PSH01 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$237.15 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™