1000 worms=half pound garbage/day?

greenthumbzdudeOctober 30, 2013

So I read on a couple of sites that 1000 worms will consume about a half pound of waste per day...does this seem accurate with what you have been experiencing? 1 month of vermicomposting via 1000 worms equals the consumption of about 15 pounds of waste. 1 year=180lbs waste.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
11otis

Nope..

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:21PM
MHERRON2213

I have 2 stacked bins - I 'guess' approx 5000 worms total. I feed them about 1/2 lb of veggies mixed with newspaper about once a week. They are thriving and multiplying

Mike

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:48PM
equinoxequinox

The 1000 worms is the starter culture similar to the tiny packet of yeast that can eventually grow to make a million loaves of bread.

Like MHERRON2213 who posted while I was signing in to reply... I guess the 1000 worms will eventually multiply into 5000 or more worms that will eventually eat "about 1/2 lb of veggies mixed with (bedding) about once a week."

Possibly in a professionally managed bin system where ground up composted horse manure is sprinkled over the by machine twice daily down a long row of bin some of the really great numbers of decomposition will happen. This is in a temperature controlled room with perfect moisture.

Luckily not only are the worms eating but other things in the bin are too and they help a bit.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 7:58PM
petrock1963

I think it is a rumor some worm farmer got started. I think maybe they will go through about 1/2 and up to their body weight in material. That material being what they are feeding on at the time which includes the bedding material. Its a puzzler for sure but let common sense be your guide.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™