yellowing tomato leaves

organic_flutterby(5 MO)June 18, 2014

This is my first attempt at growing tomatoes. I have them in a raised bed 4'x4'1' filled with mel's mix.

This one is a beefsteak. The lower leaves are turning yellow. I had already removed 3 or 4 branches before I thought to take a picture.

Is this something to worry about?

We have had several rainy days recently so it hasn't been without water. I haven't added any type of fertilizer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

How many plants do you have in that bed, and can you tell us what varieties they are?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:52PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm not sure what it is, but if they were mine, would definitely be spraying with a fungicide just in case. My fungicide of choice is Daconil.

BTW, very nice plants.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:58PM
organic_flutterby(5 MO)

Thank you for replying.

I have 4 plants, each in a 1' square. I have this beefsteak, then I have 2 medium size slicing tomatoes (I don't know what kind) and then a cherry tomato.

I'm trying to stay organic, is Daconil organic?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 1:11PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I have 4 plants, each in a 1' square...I haven't added any type of fertilizer.

Then when they are planted that intensively, that over-crowded - what is their source of nutrients? What is feeding them?

You are attempting Sq. Foot Gardening, correct? The plants still have to be fed and fed regularly. Especially after periods of heavy rain that dilute and wash out any nutrients in the soil

What soil mix, media are you using? Is this a new bed? If so then it has no active soil micro-herd, no bacteria to provide nutrients to the plants and you will have to supply them. There are any number of organic fertilizers and fungicides available but no Daconil is not organic

I don't see any signs of any disease issue in your photo but I do see plants that have been over-watered or over-rained and in need of feeding.

Dave

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 1:49PM
organic_flutterby(5 MO)

Thank you. I bought some tomato-tone and kelp meal for them. The mix is 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss.
I don't like that they are crowded so much. Next time I will only put 3 in this space. Live and learn.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:29PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Daconil is not organic. Now might be a good time to research a good organic fungicide. Those are nice plants and it would be nice to keep them that way.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 4:14PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

If you are ORGANIC, there is NEEM OIL .
I have both Daconil and Neem oils and use them both.

Yellowing and eventually aborting leaves is the plants natural response to its limited resources. Lower leaves get the pink slip first to reduce the burden on the plant.
A well fed young plant seldom will abort leaves.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™