Planting Pumpkins

jennifer9906(8/9)April 27, 2011

Hi,

Does anyone plant pumpkins so that they can have them in the fall? I want to plant some different pumpkins for my girls so they can have a punkin patch... wondering when you plant and what varieties... I am on the coast so was thinking to plant in July so they will be ready to pick at the right time... please let me know what you do....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

The only thing I know is that the SVB beetle (?) is a real pain for organic gardeners. It shows up in about July, lays eggs, then the larve kill the vine. I even injected BT but it didn't work.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 3:13PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I was wrong it's a moth that looks like a wasp. It's bright orange and lays like a zillion eggs.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 3:26PM
merryaustin

As soon as blooms open, dust them with sevin dust. I am not sure how ecologically friendly that is, but it will keep the squash vine borers away. Also, when you fertilize, keep the fertilizer away from the vine. If you have access to Dr. Sam Cotner's "The Vegetable Book A Texan's Guide to Gardening", you will have a wealth of info about growing them, although probably not a lot of info on which varieties are the "cuter" punkins. Have fun.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 1:42PM
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

I hate to say it merryaustin, but that's probably the worst thing you could do ecologically, lol! Sevin is extremely extremely toxic to bees and the dust form is probably the worst because they can take it back to the hive and kill off large portions of it. I think the only thing you really can do to prevent SVB's is to plant as early as possible so the stems can get thick and woody before they come out and use varieties that are supposedly resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: SQUASH VINE BORER AND SQUASH BUG

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 2:00PM
cynthianovak

HI all
I don't know anything and this might not pertain.....BUT
last year I lost my squash to the VBs. I didn't know what they were. I planted the squash early, like about now.

In late June I planted a packet of birdhouse gourds. They took off and ran across a chainlink fence and up the 6 ft wooden fence behind it. Every vine was happy. They were ready to harvest in late October early November.

I don't know if planting time pertains to the VBs or even if they go for the gourds.

Right now, I have a volunteer Cinderella pumpkin plant growing in my front bed. I assume that's who it is because I had one sitting near there last fall. It's very happy and flowering. [I'm trying to keep my curb free of vines and here is this happy healthy plant that wants to wave as my crabby neighbor!]

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 12:08PM
marti8a

I planted some vines and planted radish along with them. I also get beneficial nematodes and water in with them, and I sprinkle DE regularly. I hope they make it this year. We had better luck with our squash last year with a late planting.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:05PM
merryaustin

Texasflip - Thanks for the info about the sevin dust. I had no idea it was toxic to bees. We have got to keep those little fellas working (and living)!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
big box store "sale rack"
ran into a great deal on dianthus and phlox, all past...
ingridjill
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Jaipur City Bellevue Modern Geometric Pattern Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - RRC001133-0
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Silk Croton 5-foot Tree
Overstock.com
Desierto I Porcelain Jewelry Holder
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Miniature Portable Greenhouse
Overstock.com
Lemon Tree Arrangement
$9.49 | zulily
David Trubridge Design | Flax Pendant Light - Stained
YLighting
Jaipur Fables Whimsical Transitional Abstract Pattern Viscose/Chenille Rug - RRC
$43.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™