Spacing for crossvines

laura2009September 9, 2009

Hi all! I'm new to gardening, and to this site, so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light....

I have a block-wall fence in my backyard with a trellis attached to the top of it. This was done by the previous owners to partially block the view of the plumbing company behind the house. Since the owner of the company parks his trucks behind our house and is now storing empty toilets against his side of the trellis, we need to block the view completely. I plan to plant crossvines, but I'm not quite sure how to space them. The block wall is 5-6 feet tall, and the trellis above adds about another 2 feet. I want to train the vines to grow up the wall and to spread over the trellis (as opposed to covering the entire brick surface AND the trellis). I was thinking about planting them about 10 feet apart--I'd like the view covered ASAP, but I don't want to create a problem in the long run by planting them too close together. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Welcome to the vines forum and to gardening! I have no direct knowledge on crossvines but recall seeing somewhere they should do the job for covering up the view. I hope it is not a species that could get out of control for you being in Zone 10?

Joseph

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
What is going on with this pothos plant?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
are ficus pumila bad for stucco walls?
if the building itself is made of wood, and it has...
preppystud
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Sponsored Products
BLX34 18W 34-1/4" Bellatrix LED Strip - 1st Generation
LBC Lighting
China Red Textured Silk Black Bronze Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Industrial E26 E27 Copper Lamp Holder
ParrotUncle
Tandem Two-Light - Satin Black with Black Mesh on White Cotton Shade - Wall Scon
$450.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Amherst Dark Grey/Beige 5 ft. x
Home Depot
Kichler Canfield Select Transitional Ceiling Fan
1800Lighting
SunStopper Sun Haven 14 x 8-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-14X8-MANUAL-D
Hayneedle
White & Charcoal Scalloped Square Personalized Decal
$19.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™