Identify Vine and best transplant options

djhurt1September 16, 2013

Hello, we have some climbing vines on the side of our house. They've been there since I was a child and I need to remove them but don't want to destroy them. This is very dry clay type soil so it's difficult to dig more than 6". I've tried moving them and thought I got all the root but I believe I may have done too much damage and the transplants died. I also waited until late this summer and collected what I thought maybe seeds sprouting from the vines but no luck. Can anyone identify this weed like vine I have in Nebraska and recommend transplant options? I thank you so much in advance for any help offered!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Looks like Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT - Virginia creeper

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:22PM
djhurt1

Thankyou so much for your reply! Is there any more pics I can provide for a definite answer? If not, while I suspect many of these type of plants tolerate a transplant similiarly,can you offer advice on best practice to transplant repopulation in the new area?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:00AM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Dig up the rootstocks and plant lengths of them at about the same depth you find them.
In Winter, when temps. are above freezing, roots may put out rootlets and you may get sprouts in Spring.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:05PM
djhurt1

When you say "rootstocks" I've been lucky enough to find some odd horizontal running roots. At least I think they're roots. Are those what your referring to? I've transplanted these before with no luck but I think I may have damaged them too much digging them up.The ground here is VERY hard clay type. It's mid fall now, and the leaves have began to color and fall off. Is this a good time to try a transplant?

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™