So, I have dove into the whole worm composting arena. I posted about using Bonide, because once the wife sees bugs itÂs all over, the fight is on. Now, back to the worms. I was given a 36 gallon tote of worms to me by a co-worker who decided he did not want to full with them. The tote had no holes drilled in it, no ventilation or drainage.
Due note, the start of this started two weeks ago. I brought the bin home, and started looking at it. I wanted to know how many worms are in there, I discovered that there was no way to know. The worm number is not all that important since I know they will multiply.
When the co-worker and I discussed me getting the worms, I had a week to read up on Vermi-composting. Wow, there is a plethora of information on it. What is interesting is all the individual inputs on Bin management, all very helpful. Remember when I said there where no holes in the bin? Well, I got a lot of worms in a substance I am going to refer to as fudge. When my co-worker told me he was giving me the worms, he told me there were a lot of castings to be harvested. I was elated, due to the seeds I was planning to plant for my indoor garden. Needless to say the block of fudge was a disappointment.
I decided the fudge and worms are going to be productive. In my reading, I have not discovered anything about breaking up the fudge. I know, breaking up is a hard thing, but I want to break up my fudge. So now I will tell yall what I have done so far, and hope to get some helpful insight so I donÂt kill my worms. I transferred bin, lots of bedding (cardboard/newspaper/packing paper, I did not wet bedding). I waited about four days, then transferred again to a new bin. The bedding was drenched so I decided not to wet the bedding in the new bin.
Well itÂs been a week and a half or so, the lid has been off the bin for 3 days, it is finally starting to dry out (on the top). I see bugs, I know some are mites, but there are others. Due note, I did spray neem oil on the top of my bin 6 days ago, no noticeable effects as of today. Noticeable effects refer to the worms. Today I prepped another bin; bedding is cardboard, packing paper and sawdust. I split the two bins, broke up clumps.
To avoid confusion in my writing, both bins have bedding of what was mentioned above, I did slightly moisten the beddings this time. Since the castings are drying out. I donÂt want to go too fast. I put a layer of sawdust on top, lightly moistened it for good measure.
I am not sure if I am doing the right thing or not. My goal is to harvest the worms to transfer to a bin, which I can manage to get the perfect castings, moist and crumbly. So, any input would be helpful, as I am a novice in this arena.