Ordered three plants to put in before frost hoping they will be ready to go come spring.Is this a good idea,or should I have waited for spring?
Depends on which type you are planting :-) If it is one of the hardy native species, you should be fine.
I'm going to assume you were planting A. durior / macrophylla, the native one and the only Aristolochia that is a temperate climate vine. They are pretty tough. If they don't make it through the winter, give a shout on here next May and I can send you some seedlings. The don't leaf out until late, so give them a chance.
It might break your heart to do it, but when the vines get about a foot tall, cut them down by 1/2. This will make them bush out faster. These are one of my favorite plants. Well behaved, not fussy about soil or sun, and they put out new leaves until frost. They are a bit skittish in a bad drought, especially when small.
One is durior/macrophylla,the other is Clementis
I have planted Clematis in November here in NH, so you will be fine. It's best to plant early to mid-fall so that roots get established, however.