Wisteria Bloomed All Summer!?

Pongalong(4/5?)October 2, 2013

I have a friend who has a wisteria that she grew from seed. She got the seed from Arkansas and it has grown wonderful in our Wisconsin climate. It is probably about 15 years old and she had never gotten a bloom on it until this year because she was pruning it wrong. It finally bloomed this year and has not stopped blooming and it is October! She says that every week she trims back the vines that grow outside the trellis. Could this regular cutting back promote bud formation? Any ideas???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

The proper pruning of wisteria is once in July to remove the summer's rampant growth and again in March to prune it back to flower spurs and to keep its structure....
It is unnecessary to prune it continuously.....
My wisteria will bloom more than once per season sticking to pruning it twice......

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 12:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I disagree with the advice above :-) While that is the 'classic' advice, in my experience with Chinese and Japanese wisteria (I have not grown either of the American types....) more frequent (weekly - even daily - at times of rapid growth!) pruning does not harm them and does promote the development of the spur growths associated with flowering. Both my wisteria 'trees' did their first big flush of spring flowers at 5 years of age and the show just keeps getting better. The Chinese one will repeat flower in the summer and it is very noticeable that, when you cut back one of the new whippy stems, usually a flower appears 7-10 days later near the end of the stem that was cut.... The only time I've found that it is not good to prune a wisteria is in the spring before the Chinese one flowers - that triggers a flush of new foliage that hides the flowers. A couple of years ago I wanted to shorten the 'tree' so pruned it early in the spring when the branches were bare so it was easier to see the structure and decide where to cut it back to reshape it. It bloomed that year but the huge flush of foliage happened at the same time as the flowers so many of the flowers were hidden. The Japanese 'tree' needs foliage pruned off when the flowers bloom as the foliage naturally emerges early and can hide the flowers. IMO it sounds like your friend is doing the right thing and she shouldn't worry about pruning hard. If she has an American type, they are supposed to bloom on new wood, so pruning would help with the development of lots of new wood, I'd think.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
What is going on with this pothos plant?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Sponsored Products
Renoir's Red Cedar Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Abat Jour Table Lamp
Lightology
Serena D'italia Lamps 27 in. Tiffany Wisteria Bronze Table Lamp with tree Trunk
Home Depot
Janek Gray 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Purple Tiffany Wisteria Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle