Best worms source

compostheadNovember 20, 2009

I started with 1 pound of worms and now starting a second bin. What is the best place to order from from everyones experience. In terms of cost quality etc. Is it good to get from different sources and mix the population for genetic diversity?

I'm in California. Now I'll have to come up with another 2000 names. Thanks,

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_ed

Tom,

Check out http://www.vermicomposters.com/

Just put in your zip code and it will list vermicomposters in your area. You can also check craigslist for your area, that is how I got mine.

If you are in the San Diego area you can go to www.redwormproducts.com. I got a pound of worms for $15.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 2:26PM
plumiebear(z9? CA)

Tom, where in CA? I'm in the SF Bay area and was able to find a local source that sells a "starter-kit" of ~1 lbs. of worms in 5-7 lbs. of the compost they were raised in. I didn't have to go far to pick this up and the worms were saved the trauma of being harvested & shipped. The 2 bins I started with these worms are both thriving. This would probably be your best bet if you could find a local source. Otherwise, the link below has some reviews of online sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm suppliers

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 3:09PM
minitrucker

Never bought any but check out Uncle Jims they have these balls with a bunch of worm eggs inside different species.
Looks really cool.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 4:26PM
mbetts(5)

Check out Freecycle in your area. Join up. Ask if anyone has free composting worms.
mbetts

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 10:45AM
jonas302(central mn 4)

Ebay worked well for me I don't remember the seller but it was reasonable and I would rather pay the shipping than take time off work (:

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 12:20PM
11otis

composthead: if you are in Ca., you might want to check out http://www.MonsterWorms.com
Good communication and customer service, less travel time for the worms.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 1:58PM
composthead

Thanks everyone for replying. This is a very helpful forum for a rookie like me. I just started 1 month ago
I got my worms from a farm (PJ"s ) in sacramento area about an hour drive and thought I would try a mail source to avoid the drive. The first pound is thriving..I found my first egg today! Mom is healthy and doing fine. we're hoping for a hermathrodite
Any thoughts of the genetic issue?

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 8:09PM
leearnold(z5 In.)

If you have "The first pound" that is thriving, why buy more? Mine multiply so fast, unless you have a need for them right NOW, you could just be paitent and let yours.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 1:45PM
composthead

I have a ton of leaves and garden trimmings. I also got these great wooden crates off of craigslist for free that are perfect for worms. I also order the earthworm to see the differnce.
I ordered off of MonsterWorms. The are very helpful and great customer service!!
Thanks for everyones input.
ps yes I am inpatient

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
where is our welcome ?
where is our welcome ? Look at that ! Characters left...
barbararose21101
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™