Spreading the Wealth

equinoxequinoxNovember 10, 2013

Is there an advantage to spreading the food out over the top of the bin evenly rather than dumping it in the middle in a pile?

The videos of huge vermicomposting systems show these large auger machines sprinkling a thin layer of material evenly over the top of the bin. Perhaps they feed this food bedding mix 5 times a day?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Better aeration?

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:56AM
sbryce_gw

Also, I think you are describing flow through systems, which require the food to be added evenly across the surface so that everything at one particular level is processes the same when it gets to the bottom of the bin.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:58AM
merrygardener(z8olywa)

I sometimes do it just to see which food is the tastiest!

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 7:30PM
11otis

Decomposed food left long enough in the bin can no longer be distinguished from worm poop and will be just compost and not castings. I used to feed a handfull in several holes and I have a feeling that when the next feeding came, they left the old pile and went for the new. I think those leftovers are what I found later as clumps when harvesting. They have a wetter centre. As when the food is spread, it is a wider surface that the worms can get too. Except of course with chunks of pumpkins.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:24PM
chuckiebtoo

One of the many advantages of having worm "bins" (multiple smaller ones) vs "the" bin is that you can always be experimenting to find for yourself the answers to questions like this.

In this case....as with most situations....the advantage is for the convenience of the worm tender. The worms really could care less and are gonna get their's, if you know what I mean.

I've done experiments feeding separate bins using spread, and spot feeding techniques that result in virtually identical results. The spot feeding technique conveniences we keepers of the slop so we'll easier see when to re-feed.

Chuckiebtoo

BTW.....Even after the food supply appears to be consumed (unrecognizable), there is still lots of worm-worthy stuff in there that they'll get around to taking care of when you fall down on the job.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 6:43AM
jasdip

I do either/or, whatever I feel like that day.
Doing pockets, gives the worms room to get out of the way in the case of over-heating. After I lost half my herd a few years ago giving them brown rice that over-heated, I'm a little more cautious. When I spread it out I like to spread it over half the bin, again to give them room if necessary.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
cow manure
I've always heard about horse manure but I've only...
chazz1100
Our new home, seems to me, needs new blood. So...from square one.....
.......one of my old beginner vermi-blogs. http://wormscan.blogspot.com/...
chuckiebtoo
Sponsored Products
Bruck | Chroma Z15 Canopy Spot
$393.75 | YLighting
WAC Argos 20 Degree White 25W Led Track Head for Juno
Euro Style Lighting
Radiax 3000K 10-Degree 21-Watt LED Bronze Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Lush Decor Lake Como 4-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Doma Bone China Table Lamp - Original BTC
$445.00 | HORNE
Red & Green Polka Dot Elf Stocking
$19.99 | zulily
Alabster Rocks! 48-Inch Bowl 6000 Lumen LED Pendant with Large Square Point Fini
Bellacor
Loving Tree Life Photo Collage
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™