Puzzled About Mites

bob17257(Z6/ S Central PA)November 6, 2009

I've kept worms for many years, and have always accepted the fact that those pesky red mites are a natural part of the worm bin environment. But for about the past year the mites have disappeared. I'm not complaining. I don't miss them. I haven't changed anything - same bins, same bedding material, same food, same temperature range.

'Tis a puzzlement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

It is probably normal. I have seen mite populations change with no apparent reason.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 12:23PM
wormnelly(Hawaii)

Mine has gone in the opposite direction - from a couple of short term mite attacks in the past 2 years, I am undergoing an attack that has lasted for a month.

Have tried leaving top open at night, letting bin dry out a bit, rinsing top daily (dots all over - I rinse in driveway!)and using my BBQ lighter to burn the dots on the top of the paper! I have water mister bottle handy! But still have a lot of mites.

I have read conflicting reports - that they are bad for my worms and will vampire them to report on redworm composting site that they do no harm.

But it grosses me out when it looks like mites are on the worms

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:00AM
rom.calgary.ab(3a)

Take a closer look at the activity. Are the mites just consuming a dead or dying worm? My understanding is that they eat decomposing (dead) organic material.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:22PM
wormnelly(Hawaii)

rom.calgary.ab:

Nope, the worms are alive. This summer had been warm - so I'm hoping our winter (haha! I'm in Hawaii) cool will reduce the mite population.

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 10:09AM
rom.calgary.ab(3a)

Winter here (AB) does a good job of reducing a lot of critter populations.

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 7:49PM
beth_monsterworms(9 SF East Bay)

Mites like it when the bin is acidic and wet. Try adding some calcium carbonate or crushed egg shells and let the bin dry out some. That will help. You could also put some double-sided sticky tape around the top edge to trap some.

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 10:43PM
joe.jr317

In regard to the original post, that certainly is puzzling. I've always got mites. I mean, it is as though they appear in droves in a matter of hours even in new bins. Your climate isn't that different than mine.

I prefer the mites. They break down food that can take a little time to break down.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
Types of worms
I imagine this topic has been discussed at length in...
duaroger
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Sponsored Products
Bird Wanna Whistle Union Station Throw Pillow - 12641-THRPI1
$39.00 | Hayneedle
Belham Living Palazetto Cast Aluminum Swivel Club Chair - Set of 2 - 22-80009-AW
Hayneedle
Elenco Engino Simple Machines - ENG-M10
$84.95 | Hayneedle
Here and There Personalized Kids Chair - SeeSaw Chevron - 61268P-1
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group WGL-8815 - Pendants 1 Light Mini Pendant - Cylinder with Fl
$133.20 | Hayneedle
Regal Atwater Bulldog 30 in. Bar Stool Upholstered Seat and Back - 418USB-30-MAH
$359.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Cambridge Dark Grey/Ivory 6 ft.
Home Depot
Blast Zone Tropical Splash Compact Backyard Water Slide - INF-TROPICALSPLASH
$279.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™