Need ground cover that will live under crinum

marti8aApril 19, 2011

I'm tired of cleaning weeds out of the crinum bed while waiting for it to fill out. In a month or so, they will spread out and no weeds will grow there, but until then, I'd like something to take the place of weeds. It would be nice if it were evergreen, but if it just starts growing before the weeds, that's good enough for me. I thought about horse herb, mainly because I've got some I can dig up. I'm not sure if it can live under the crinum all summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Most people consider dichondra a weed, but I find it a great ground cover that grows in shade and sun both. When I lived in AZ people out there paid big bucks for dichondra lawns.

It does not get tall.In this picture you can see it growing in front of the colmbine and in the back left.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 9:34AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I let dichondra grow in certain areas also, Kathy, but I also like creeping jenny. It is an evergreen, easy to pull out or hoe to keep it under control, and doesn't crowd out the colorful plants around it. It can be a bit invasive if you don't keep it under control though.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:27AM
marti8a

Will either of those spread into other areas? What I like about horse herb is that it doesn't jump across the border into the yard - or at least it hasn't yet.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:55AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Marti - my horseherb has jumped the border into the yard. I think it might be reseeding, so maybe I can remedy the problem with pre-emergent. I'm trying to decide if I can deal with it, or it has to go.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:03PM
marti8a

I fight that stuff everywhere, and just pulled it all out of that bed. I'm not sure I want to encourage it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:05PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

To answer your question, YES they will spread to other areas if left unchecked. They are just easier to control and prettier to look at than weeds. Oh, and I have horseherb coming up in places I have no idea how it got there.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:38PM
marti8a

Bummer. I hoped horseherb would just stay where it was planted. At least it's easier to pull out than dichondra.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:53PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

Hmmm.... on another note, my crinum of about four years has not spread at all.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:22PM
marti8a

I don't mean that the crinum has multiplied, just that it is growing leaves after being dormant in the winter (maybe yours don't go dormant?) and filling out the bed. When they first start putting out green tips, the circumference is about 10" but in a month or so, it will be over two feet.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:09PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

Yes, the size has gotten to about two feet but no more. It seems to have maxed out. It did stay green all winter and we had snow enough to kill lots of my plants.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 12:20AM
Lin barkingdogwoods

I like the purple-leafed oxalis (triangularis regnellis or something like that) under the crinum - it's at its peak now and will get protection from the crinum as it fades.

Here it is by iris and white rain lily, but this bed has more crinum in it now:

Lin

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 12:31PM
marti8a

That's a good idea Lin, and I have some purple oxalis.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 1:26PM
bouquet(z8 Dallas)

I have a plant called St. John's wort that kinda looks like thyme, but more billowy. (Is that even a word?) It doesn't bloom, grows in the shade, spreads in a nonagressive way and is evergreen. Looks cute next to purple oxalis. I plan on moving some under a bench, I like it so much. Sorry don't have a picture of it for you.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:35PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I like frog's fruit but it can be aggressive.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™