potato vine

migarden(z5 MI US)October 23, 2008

Not sure what the right forumis for this but...was digging up my potato vines before frost gets them and I noticed have potatoes on the roots. I always thought they were simply ornamental and would not produce a potato. At any rate, was wondering if I can use the potatoes to make plants in the spring and if so, how do I store them for winter, etc. I know some are Marguerite and some are dark purple - not sure of the name.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_convolvulaceae

migarden - The Ornamental cultivars of Ipomoea batatas produce a sweet potato root that is just as edible as the non-ornamental types...in fact the entire plant is totally edible except for the seeds...the leaves can be eaten fresh in a salad or made into fritters...

The root can be overwintered by placing into sawdust or any other medium which has good aeration...keep it from drying out completely by dampening once in awhile...

You can also try overwintering the Ipomoea batatas rot and vine by placing it in a sunny window where the root may continue to produce some leaves,but not quite as prolifically as when the vine is outdoors during the summer...

The vines are susceptible to overly drying out if the house heat is very dry or if the vine is placed where dry heat will impact on the leaves by rapidly drying them out faster than the vine can maintain hydration...

Good Luck with your vines...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea batatas in the PlantFiles...

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 6:51PM
becke52

Hi,
I've never had any luck with the potato, so I always bring them in and use them as an indoor plant all winter. Mine grow like weeds, and I usually have to trim them and root the trimmings as well.
good luck.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 1:52AM
greenkid_2008(8)

Migarden is it an Ipomoea or a Solanum?
If it is Solanum Crispum,(Chilean Potato Vine) I wouldn't advise eating any part of it as they do contain Tropane Alkaloids.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™