anyone growing the RH Shumway free tomato this year?

lorimcp2006June 11, 2012

I started a few and they look pretty good so far. I am guessing this is a hybrid though, I didn't mean to really plant any of those in the garden this year, but that's ok.

Anyone have an idea of what they are? I don't think my packet said much at all about the type.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

According to their website and catalog the free seeds offer varies from order to order but all are "common and popular varieties". In other words not everyone gets the same free seeds. So what is the name of the tomato seeds you got? I got Early Goliath with mine.

Dave

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:45PM
lorimcp2006

Mine do not have a name on the packet, just medium red determinate 70 day hybrid.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 9:40AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In that case, I'd call them and ask for the name of the variety they included in that packet. It could be any one of 100's of very different tomatoes or even a mix of several different varieties.

Dave

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:20AM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

I didn't order anything from Shumway this year, but did last year and my free packet said the same thing. We planted some of them and they were quite prolific but terribly prone to BER. The ones we did harvest tasted pretty good, though. We actually have a couple plants again this year from last year's seed. Oh, and even though the packet said "Determinate" they lasted until frost got them just like my Indeterminates.

Edie

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Tell me your ultimate tomatoes
Highest yield: Best flavor: Easiest/most disease resistant: Best...
shijitake
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™