Moonflower Vine

kek19October 24, 2007

Can I root a cutting from my Moonflower Vine? It started dying just as all the buds showed up, due to our whacky weahter I presume. I took a cutting and it's in water, still alive. But has anyone ever rooted cuttings for one to get a head start on next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oxmyx(6)

Why not dig it up.

I intend to cut mine back and dig it up and overwinter it, that and HB Morning glory.
Don't know how well I will succeed, but I have goos HID lights, Might even get blooms!

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 7:25PM
karyn1(7a)

Oxmyx I wintered a Moonflower Vine over inside under HID lights and it bloomed throughout the winter. Even better was that I got blooms early the next season. Even when I start the seeds inside early I usually don't get blooms until August. I didn't get any seed pods from the flowers that bloomed inside but I'm guessing that's because there was nothing to pollinate them???
Karyn

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 8:02AM
kek19

The vine is dying back though, there's very little green. You think if I dig it up and cut it back it might still survive?

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 7:59PM
oxmyx(6)

kek19 My guess is you will be ok it probably is stressed a bit and when you cut it back , most plants produce new vigor.

Did it flower well and do you have seed pods? If so I can see why it is dying back. Otherwise be sure it isn't sick or insect infested first. I say this because my most full of seed pods plants are ok but dying back a bit, other wise the vines are healthy, that haven't flowered as much.

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 9:50AM
Patches(Southern Ontario-7)

I wanted to share some pics of my moonflower vines grown on my small balcony in containers from seeds I harvested a year ago (see post in container gardening forum re harvesting moonflower seeds oct '06) and will do that just as soon as I work out how to upload a photo. It's 8 degrees celsius (which I think is about 50 fahrenheit) and was sunny with cloud ... now is mostly cloudy!

Bookmark   October 28, 2007 at 2:03PM
Patches(Southern Ontario-7)

from seed harvested Oct '06 which will shows the plant climbing for my awning & the pot size:

Bookmark   October 28, 2007 at 2:35PM
kek19

I had only one bloom in mid summer, that my daughter picked right away. It was COVERED in buds, several a day before opening when we got our first frost, they fell off, never opened. Now we've had 3 freezes in the past week. Everything is dying back now. I think I missed my window of opportunity to dig it up to try and overwinter it. But on a plus side, the cutting I took before it got too bad, is still green and growing, no sign of any roots yet though :(

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 12:15AM
billie(zone 5 Iowa)

Hi I planted moon flower vine seeds this summer for the first time and have fallen in love with them.. they are gorgeous.. my problem is that the frost got them before i got any seeds.. the seeds I planted were "gifted" to me and I cant find somewhere to purchase more seeds for next spring.. can anyone point me in the right direction?? I sure would appreciate finding some more for next summer..
thank you all for any help
Billie

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 8:38PM
scottrell(10AFl)

Go to seed exchange on Garden web.Be careful you might get addicted. LOL
Sharon

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
are ficus pumila bad for stucco walls?
if the building itself is made of wood, and it has...
preppystud
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™