Staining/sealing cedar arbors?

bobbi_p(z8/9 Cypress, TX)April 15, 2009

Hi Everyone,

The much awaited cedar trellis/arbor on the backside of our pool is somewhat underway: hubby has built the concrete forms, tied rebar reinforcements, dug 1.5/3 holes for posts, and cedar has been delivered. When this is finally completed and I'm happily planting to cover up all of hubby's hard work, I really don't want to worry about cutting back vines/landscaping every 2 years for restaining.

Now then, I would love for my arbor to mimic the fireplace/mantel I have inside the house, that is Austin cream limestone with a rough-hewn cedar beam mantle stained in MinWax Cherry 235.

The MinWax website doesn't specifically mention arbors/trellises, but if I read through the material properly, it would seem that they'd suggest a semi-transparent stain (brush on, rub off excess which might not be easy on the rough cut cedar we're using) followed by a urethane clear coat for UV protection.

The national "Real Cedar" website says clear coats should never be used because they'll all eventually fail/crack look bad. They suggest an oil-based semi-transparent stain alone will last for 2-4 years.

Thompson's Waterseal site recommends their Thompson's Waterseal Waterproofer Plus Tinted Wood Protector with only 1 coat, possibly 2 coats for a darker color if the wood will accept the stain. They don't mention how long I should expect this treatment to last.

What do the seasoned gardeners say?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rick_mcdaniel(Lewisville, TX)

Oil-based semi-transparent stain. If you will contact a fencing company down there, that offers pre-dipped finish, they should be able to refer you to a company that offers the best product, although in limited color choices.

The next best option, has always been Sherwin-Williams, for me. More colors, anyway.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™