New Vermicomposter Introduction
Well . . . . I have always thought about doing this and now that I am retired, I thought I would take it on as a Winter project. I put together an OSCR Jr type bin. I bedded it with a mixture of shredded newsprint and cardboard. I added a small amount of some woods soil and leaf mold.
I buried about a pound of ripened kitchen waste in the bedding. I got a pound of EF worms in the mail and spread them out on top of the bedding. Within a half hour or so they had buried themselves in the bedding. Within 12 hours, they were vigorously attacking the kitchen waste. I was prepared to illuminate the bin to prevent escapes, but that turned out to be totally unnecessary so I abandoned the idea. The worms seem to be quite happy and I never see one unless I go looking.
This is fun.