Breakers / Blushers Anyone?

Cdon(7a)June 15, 2012

Any of you mid-atlantic (or similar temp) gardners have any first breaking or blushing tomatoes yet?

My rule of thumb from last year was 37 days after I see my first (non-cherry) tomato, it breaks/blushes with the first hints of red. As its now 36 days from my earliest starts, im now on breaker patrol, and ive got my eye on one tomato in particular.

Its almost as if I can hear it in the garden, calling out to me...you know you want me...ooh is that some color, or am I just teasing you...

Ive probably been out to inspect that one tomato 6 times in the last 24 hours. Neighbors must think im crazy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

I have an in ground early girl with a couple starting to get some color. I have been eating container grown better boys for 3 weeks now.

Two extremely late frosts killed almost all of my in ground tomatoes. Even though I covered them well.The early girl was one of 2 survivors.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:31PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I have a container Husky Cherry Red which is yellow-gold! Just found it yesterday, and I'm in shock.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:02PM
barnhardt9999(8a)

I have lots of red boar, green zebra and Cherokee purples breaking. My 2 year old has been eating sweet 100's for a couple weeks but now that he can't keep up I get to share in the bounty.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:27PM
SneakyP86(7B)

I started picking my grape tomato's early last week. I've picked about 20 of my bigger tomato's so far.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 3:42AM
More Discussions
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™