Sweet potato vines need to go south for the winter

slinky_2009(7)October 27, 2009

Hi all, I have been away from GW since 2005 (Katrina)and seem to be gettting the bug again. I have tons of sweet potato vines - both light green and dark purple (Margurite and Blackie) that are about to disappear with our first hard freeze. (North Mississippi) This is my first experience with them but I understand they have a "potato" tuber that can be saved over winter - and they are related to the morning glory vine.

Today I cut a vine approximately two yards long and shipped it to my mother in South Florida. If this works out ok I will offer them on the exchange. They root very quickly in water, and they recover very quickly when they droop from thirst.

Has anyone on this forum ever tried growing them indoors over winter? Any suggestions on what to do with my huge "crop" of sweet potato vines before they freeze will be greatly appreciated. I will post a picture if I can figure it out. My first attempt failed because the file was too large.

Thanks, Slinky a/k/a Sylvia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Is the root winter hardy? If so, why not leave them in the ground? If not, can you dig the roots to store indoors like I have to do with Dahlia tubers in Delaware?

Welcome back to GW!

Joseph

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 4:00PM
slinky_2009(7)

Thanks Joseph. It is good to be back. I will try both - digging roots and storing some indoors. There are just so many pretty vines I hate to see them bite the dust. I cut a lot of them before our first frost and stuck them in water - in garbage cans, buckets, vases, whatever I could find. But that barely put a dent in it. I'm experimenting with trying to root some of the vines with most of the leaves removed. If that works they will be easier to ship. The leaves are so delicate.

Sylvia

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 7:57PM
slinky_2009(7)

Thanks Joseph. It is good to be back. I will try both - digging roots and storing some indoors. There are just so many pretty vines I hate to see them bite the dust. I cut a lot of them before our first frost and stuck them in water - in garbage cans, buckets, vases, whatever I could find. But that barely put a dent in it. I'm experimenting with trying to root some of the vines with most of the leaves removed. If that works they will be easier to ship. The leaves are so delicate.

Sylvia

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Fast Growing Vines
Hey everyone! I would like to get some fast growing...
Matt Conner
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Sponsored Products
Ryder Leather Loveseat - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Five-Light Lily White Accent Lamp
$186.40 | Bellacor
Great Hare Container
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Design House 512624 Cameron 6-Light Chandelier - Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish - 5126
$262.99 | Hayneedle
Pivoting Soap Dispenser
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
Hampton Bay 4-Light 34-7/8 in. Brushed Nickel Fixed Track Lighting Kit HBTK601P-
$69.97 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Dorado Stormy Sea 3' 6" x 5' 6" Flatweave
Home Depot
PrimaLoft Hypoallergenic 400 Thread Count Stripe Down Alternative Comforter
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™