Just how dry or moist should the bin Be!

hummersteveNovember 18, 2013

I for one do not have drainage from my bin but I have gotten a good bit of nice casting from my worms.

The other day I lifted my bin and noticed there was about maybe 1" of dry peat on that lid and I mean dry not moist at all yet I found at least two worms hiding in the mix maybe its just a recent thing. I wouldnt think they would want to be in that kind of dry mix.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Im happy to say that my worms are happy , content , and doing their work constantly. both of my bins show this. Instead of seeing worms up on the lids in good numbers instead they are continually doing what I have set up the bins for them to do. So if I see an occasional worm or two on the lid , everything is still ok.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 11:35AM
jasdip

Steve, I'm trying to picture 1" of peat on the lid. How does it accumulate that thick?

I did a harvest yesterday and I found the most eggs down in the wetter portion of the bin. Worms were throughout, to be sure, but the fattest ones were hanging out in the bottom, moister part.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 3:53PM
hummersteve

I have a lid under the bin also to catch anything which is what I was referring to.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:00PM
AquaponicsDave(6)

The only water i add to the tank for the 2 months before i change the castings is the 1/2 gallon of water to moisten the peat moss.

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 7:57AM
mendopete

I like the way You mounted that system on the wall AquaponicsDave! It is a great space saver, but must be a little messy when you add that water ;)

Worms tolerate a WIDE range of moisture levels, as long as oxygen is available. They will not stay long in dry material.

Good luck!

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 1:04PM
AquaponicsDave(6)

Are you referring to my hydro system being mounted or the worms? Because the only water I've added to the worms was to dampen the peat. I keep my worms around 65 degrees

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 1:07PM
TrpnBils(6B)

I think he's referring to the fact that your picture is sideways and it looks like your bin is mounted vertically instead of sitting on top of your clothes dryer.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™