flow through and lid

beeseeNovember 18, 2009

I finally built a 55 gallon barrel flow through bin, in essence copying Eric's design.

The question now is do I put the lid on? Or do I leave the lid out? I have a pretty tight lid and I feel like I am suffocating the worms if I put the lid on even though they probably get a lot of oxygen from the bottom.

Experiece folks, please advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric30

Hello. I actually copied the design from a couple other people, mine was only different in that I used conduit for the grate. If I built another one of these I wouldn't saw the lid off. The barrel loses it's round structure and gets oval shaped. I would rather cut a door out on top of the lid. Since my non-fitting lid is cumbersome, I just have the whole barrel covered in an old comforter. Also, I am renting and I don't need the landlord asking me why I have a blue plastic barrel full of paper and dirt in my porch. Anyway, unless your lid is air tight, there should be plenty of air flow through the barrel.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 6:20PM
beesee

Thanks for the reply, Eric. As I was rereading my original post, there were many spelling errors. Oh, well.

At any rate, the 55 gallon drum I bought came with plastic lid that closes the bin. It also came with a extra band that seals the lid immensely tight.

I will never use the extra band. However, I wondered if I could use the plastic lid. I made this bin on Sunday and I have been using large cardboard as a lid. Since this cardboard lid doesn't seal completely, it left some air pockets on top.

Is it safe enough to use the plastic lid as a lid without worrying about air flow problem? Is the air coming from the bottom provide enough oxygen for the bin?

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 7:39PM
eric30

since it is air tight, I would worry about the air not flowing through the whole system. Maybe drill some holes in the lid. For several months I actually laid some cardboard over the top and put the lid on that. Once it got mildew on it, I would tear it up for bedding and find a new piece.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 6:51PM
mbetts(5)

beesee, for my flow-through bin I cut pie-shaped pieces out of the top and then used my hot glue gun to fix pieces of window screen over the openings. It seems to work.
mbetts

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Chuckie's shoe totes
I'm gearing up for spring and milk jug AACT to use...
smdmt
cow manure
I've always heard about horse manure but I've only...
chazz1100
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Types of worms
I imagine this topic has been discussed at length in...
duaroger
Sponsored Products
Studio Italia Design | Vapor Table Lamp
YLighting
Purple & Burlap Polka Dot Insulated 20-Oz. Mason Jar Cup
$9.99 | zulily
Sellstown 10 1/2" Wide Industrial Bronze Ceiling Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
3-Channel RGB LED Controller and Dimmer Pro Plus RF Remote Control
EnvironmentalLights.com
Area Rug: In Style Kashan Red 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot