First Legend Tomato

ABlindHog(8a Tx Hill Country)June 21, 2014

Picked my first Legend tomatoes a couple of days ago and they were not what I was expecting. Based on what I heard from you all, and from the information I was able to find, I expected determinate plants, early 8-10 oz fruit with unexceptional but balanced sweet and acid flavor and very few seeds. What I got was 80 day, 5-6 oz fruit that was sweet with almost no acidity. They contain at least an average amount of seeds and maybe more than average. About the only thing that was as expected was the determinate plants. I suspect a seed mix up but wanted to hear if anyone else had these results.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vinnybob(z8Oregon)

The first tomatoes don't always taste right, so I would wait until the next few show up to judge them. I have read somewhere that say Legend is a semi-determinate. I was thinking of growing Legend next year so let us know what you think of them later on. Thank you.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I am growing several Legends, for the first time this season. No fruits yet but I know they are DET, for sure.
I will report on the fruits when I get some.
OSU site has a full description on Legend. Its important characteristic is that it can set fruit both in cold weather and hot weather. Fruit size can definitely can vary and taste is more of a subjective thing. But nobody can say a sweet tomato is sour.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™