How To Grow Cucumbers

nightrider767(San Antonio)April 9, 2010

I've got some cucumber and squash coming along nicely, but I have never grown them before. Do they need to be lifted off the ground with a trellis, or can they be grown over a mulched bed?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
supaflyz

Yes they do you need a small trellis or get like a chain link fence and do it. They going look really messy without a trellis.My mom put them on a trellis now. She use to grow them on the thing that you put concrete on? That mesh thing forgot what its call.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:55PM
gertie2u2(7b)

Hi, I'll just jump in here. I have grown cucumbers on the ground and just lifted the individual cukes on some plastic plates turned upside down that I had around (yes it looked odd, but when left on the ground things bothered the undersides) They do better grown up on something. What I like to do is make an arch of chicken wire and grow them over it. The kiddos like it for a hiding place, and I get them to weed under there. :)

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 1:17AM
denisew(z8 TX)

I bought a cattle panel that is propped up vertically using metal posts. I have grown them vertically on other things before, but this is extremely sturdy and very inexpensive. I bought it at a local farm store for just over $20 and will be able to use it year after year. The cattle panel is about 4 feet tall and 10 feet long, so there is lots of room to grow plenty of produce.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 8:22PM
sfmathews(7B/8A)

I second the cattle panels. I use them for tomatoes, pole beans, cukes, squash. The possibilities are endless!

Susan

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:42PM
duajones(z9 TX)

They definitely do better on a trellis, plus they take up less room that way.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 2:16PM
cynthianovak

what about the bush type cukes? I got two of those with no experience. Anyone have an opinion????

thanks
c

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 5:24PM
bobbi_p(z8/9 Cypress, TX)

Haven't planted the bush cukes before, but have grown other cukes both on the ground and on a trellis. On the ground a straw mulch underneath would help.

I went to the trellis only to give myself more horizontal space for other veggies.

I too, have a cattle panel purchased at TSC, but had to cut it in half to get it home and it's much more manageable anyway. My father built some really cool legs to stand them in to make it totally portable and aid in crop rotation. I'll have to take a picture and post it when I get them in place.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 5:56PM
bilsalvat2_yahoo_com

I have planted my cucumbers approx 7 wks ago and they are currently about 3' tall and very leafy. When will they start producing? I have many yellow flowers but no sign of cucumbers yet. How long does it take?

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Native Plant Suggestions
This both a gardening and a social issue. I have a...
Redthistle
Sedum suggestions or thoughts?
Please bear with a newbie dumb question. I bought Rainbow...
tejas_ruthie
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Is planting Leyland cypress a mistake?
I planted 2 Leyland cypress plants in my back yard...
ritholtz47
What is this plant?
Need help identifying this plant. It is growing in...
stephendbrown
Sponsored Products
Muirfield Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Bay Tan/Red 7 ft. 9 in. Indoor
Home Depot
Curacao Chandelier
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
Owl Be Yours Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$27.99 | zulily
Textured Lines Rug 9' x 12' - NAVY
$3,599.00 | Horchow