Tomatoes that tolerate low light conditions

homegardenpaJune 8, 2010

I've searched for this already with little success, and I know it's an unusual request, but I'm trying to find a fairly compact tomato that is tolerant of 4 or less hours of direct sunlight while still being able to produce. My sister wants desperately to grow a tomato of some kind, but lives in a city condo that only gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight on their balcony. She understands that she may get little to nothing out of the plant under those conditions, but she's just curious if it's even worth a shot. If she could get a handful or two of tomatoes out of it all season long, that would be fine.

I told her I didn't know, but I thought that maybe something small like a tumbling tom or the like, but she'd prefer a larger fruited plant (which I also mentioned is likely not possible). I'm sure there are people on here who have less than ideal sun conditions and get something out of it, if you have any experience or could make any recommendations, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
star_stuff(Greensboro NC 7a)

IÂm also in a condo, and only get about 4.5 hours of sun, at peak season. This year IÂm growing Big Beef, Sungold, Druzba, Sweet Million, Tumbling Tom, Husky Red, Japanese Black Trifele, Black Cherry, Black Krim, German Black, and Black. All the plants are healthy, and IÂve already picked a few tomatoes.

I would look for highly productive varieties with shorter Days to Maturity. Cherry varieties would be a great choice. Naturally, the plants may not grow as large, or produce as many flowers, and the taste may not be quite as good compared to 8 hours of sun, but at least your sister will have something! It wouldn't hurt to try ...maybe she could pick up a few transplants from the FarmerÂs Market or nursery.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 6:24PM
wcthomas

I only get about five hours of sunshine in my garden, but still managed an average of 24 tomatoes per plant last year. My highest yielder of beefsteak type tomatoes was German Head. Go for it.

TomNJ

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 7:05AM
wolfemacleod

Hey, don't feel bad. We';re not really getting ANY sun here in Seattle. I think we've had an hour's worth over the last two weeks!

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
T-5 Grow light question on seedlings that just germinated
I should no this by now, but seedlings with out true...
thebutcher
Should I grow white tomatoes?
I have Great White seeds and already sprouted some....
shijitake
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™