Where can I get hyacinth vine seeds?

marti8aApril 6, 2012

I made the mistake of planting ALL of my saved seeds in an area that gets little extra water and they didn't make it through the drought. I'd like to plant again somewhere else. But I'm going to have to buy seeds this time. The last ones were given to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srburk

Look at Onalee's. (onaleedotcom) She is supposed to be reputable per a website that shall not be mentioned (because it apparently gets me kicked off of here) and I believe she still has seed, if you can't find someone that has any.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 5:03PM
melvalena

Send me your mailing address and I'll send you some. They are several years old but I suspect most of them will sprout.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:31PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I got some about a month ago at Calloway's here in Dallas. It was packaged by a "major" seed seller, but I don't remember which one. It's someone I've seen in the big box stores, too.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 9:35PM
marti8a

Thanks melvalena! CYE.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:13PM
marti8a

How long does it usually take these to germinate? I planted them several weeks ago and haven't seen a peep from them yet. I saved back a few just in case I wanted to put them somewhere else. Should I put them in some potting soil in the house?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:27AM
melvalena

I have no idea... several weeks ago I planted several vine seeds, blue pea shell vine and some lavender moonflower)
and so far only 2 have come up. I think it may need to be a bit warmer? I soaked the moon flower ones over night prior to planting.
If I don't see some action soon I'll plant some of the hyacinth ones--then watch... I'll bet they all come up!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 10:54AM
lou_texas(8a N Central TX)

Marti, I also have plenty of hyacinth bean seeds from last year's crop. If you need some, send me your address. Lou

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:06PM
marti8a

Thanks Lou. I'll give these a bit longer. I found a website how to check viability of seeds, so will do that with a few of the seeds I have left.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:32PM
aufelipe

I planted some from last year's pods and they came up in about a week to 10 days in pots.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 10:25PM
melvalena

aufelipe, what zone are you in?
I remember them coming up pretty quickly in the past, but I think I planted a bit latter in the month of May.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:22AM
aufelipe

I'm in Oak Cliff, Texas, as we say (OK, legally I'm in Dallas). It's 8-ish. I put 12 beans my neighbor gave me in pots on my back step. About a week later I had 5 seedlings, since transplanted and just beginning to climb.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 2:29PM
melvalena

Well then Marti's should be up by now too then.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:24PM
castro_gardener

HB seeds come up pretty quickly. So do the clitoria/pea fine seeds. I started them in pots months ago. If you're getting some of this rain, set them out in the storm... the past few days I've had seeds pop up that have been doing nothing until they got rained on. I think one secret is to keep the soil moist for those hard coated seeds.

Good luck !

patty

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:51PM
marti8a

I just went out to check and I'm pretty sure one sprouted. I'll check again tomorrow when the leaves start taking shape. Are they thin and pointed when they first emerge?

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:14PM
aufelipe

Well the first thing I saw was the "seed leaves" or cotyledon. They look like the bean itself split open and turned green. Then the real leaves are a pointed heart shape with purple already showing on the stems and veins. They look pretty much like this:
http://www.vegetable-gardening-advice.com/vegetable-plant-identification.html

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 1:36PM
marti8a

Oh good, I think that's it. I was too busy to check this weekend, but will check again tomorrow. Should be easy to tell now.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 1:02AM
marti8a

It is a hyacinth bean vine! I'll stick some more seeds out and see if any of them sprout too.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Low growing native shrub?
I keep seeing photos of houses with dwarf yaupon in...
marti8a
Bunny Tail Grass (Lagurus ovatus)
I found Bunny Tail Grass on a $1 rack at the garden...
srks72
Crepe Myrtle Transplating - Houston Area
Hi, I originally thought about posting this in the...
BirkdaleSteve
Sponsored Products
Gardenfall Steel Finish Center Mount Fountain with Light
Lamps Plus
Hoppi Satin Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture with Mocha and Clear Glass
$463.50 | Bellacor
Ripple Lounge Chair in Black
$1,099.00 | LexMod
Peri Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Vanilla Matte Glass
$238.50 | Bellacor
Calvados Headboard
Grandin Road
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Lyndhurst Red / Ivory 2 ft. 3 in. x 6 ft.
$60.97 | Home Depot
Period Arts | Altus Ceiling Fan
$280.00 | YLighting
Minnie Mouse Baby Girl Gift Basket - 8054
$108.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™