Yellowing on my sago palm

angel123(San Antonio, Tx)April 1, 2007

I have yellowing on my sago palm. Ive had watered it and it still yellowing. It gets full sun. Please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnktx(9)

is it yellowing on just the outside fronds or on the new inner growth? Newly planted or established? How is drainage? Last feeding?

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 5:21PM
angel123(San Antonio, Tx)

Its on the outside fronds. Ive planted 6months ago. The drainage. I do not know how to test the drainage. I havent put any feeding on it. And if it needs feeding. What brand?

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 5:26PM
mnktx(9)

Angel, it's not unnormal for sago's to yellow/brown on the outside fronds so they can use that energy for new fronds. Once they turn brown (wait until then) just lop them off. It's important to wait for them to turn brown as the plant is withdrawing the chlorophyll etc back into itself so you don't want to take that away by cutting the frond off too soon. If the insides were yellowing, I'd be more concerned with it needing nutrients. You may have too much standing water and with all the rain we've had in SA, they don't need to be watered right now. They prefer it more dry than soggy. I use blood meal in spring and fish emulsion in fall when I fertilize. I also add a touch of epsom salt. I also add some sand each time so it can work its way in to help drainage. That's just what I do.

Also, do you know what variety it is? Some like gratus and ferox do not like full sun and they will yellow in it.

Others are welcome to give more 'expert' advice :)

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 8:02AM
dee2000_tx7(DFW 7b)

I can tell you of my own experience with it. I put it in the ground 3 yrs ago & cover it with several layers of burlap or a couple old king size sheets when temps get below 40ish. But I believe that freezing temps cause the yellow damage on mine. I have several fronds with just little sections yellow, which I eventually cut off. But it growns so well outside that it makes up for it by end of summer. I'm afraid it will outgrow it's spot & the king size sheets in another year or so. LOL.

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 11:20PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

You might also want to check the underside of the yellowed fronds for scale insects.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
California Poppies
The first bloom opened on my California poppies. The...
briaustex 8b
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
Need ballpark figure for irrigation
We recently put in a pool. Pool, landscaper, irrigation...
emrld444
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™