Cobaea Indoors?

moonwolf_gwNovember 16, 2009

Hi everyone,

In two old houseplant books of mine, it lists cobaea as a houseplant. Has anyone been ablle to do this? I want to try it with at least two seeds (one purple, one white) . I'd thought I'd ask first.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

The one I'd recently cut back and stuck in the greenhouse was looking kind of shabby so I cut it almost back to the soil. I left about 3" of stems and will see if they put out any new growth. The cuttings began to rot instead of root so I trashed them.

I started the seeds early and they germinated quickly and grew well before going outside. If you have sufficient light I'd try them inside. You can keep them on a trellis or something and move them outside when it warms up in the spring. The worst that will happen is they don't do well

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:34PM
moonwolf_gw

Karyn, I made a trellis already out of some bamboo stakes I have today. It's drying right now. Did you have to pinch back the vines to keep it in control or did you grow it up a large trellis?

Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:56PM
karyn1(7a)

I got them outside before they got out of control. They do get huge and I must have cut off about 20' of vines before moving it into the greenhouse. The roots had also grown thru the drainage holes and into the soil and I assume it has an extensive root system as well. I don't know if pinching it back will delay flowering or not. I had a couple other vines nearby and they all kind of grew together. The passies and morning glories bloomed fine but not the cobaea. I don't know if it might have been too shaded or what but I'll allow it to grow by itself next year.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Fast Growing Vines
Hey everyone! I would like to get some fast growing...
Matt Conner
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Wanting fast growing/spreading vine
My house is in the middle of an acre field. I want...
srks72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™