Clumps of worms

ncwormsNovember 9, 2009

I have a bin of Euopean nightcrawlers in mostly peatmoss and newspaper medium. PH 7.0 to 7.5. I feed mostly chicken layer pellets with some veggie cuttings. I notice the tend to clump, pockets of 20-25 worms thoughout the bin. Not many singles just traveling. Is this normal behavior?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melenkolee

newbie here, but as a guess....worm whoopie?

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 8:10PM
stevesd

How long have you had your bin. My euro's tend to be where there is lots of moisture and food. If places in the bin are drier or without much food, not so many worms. your worms may be aok. I dug in my worm bin today and noticed the same thing. I don't think its anything to worry about, as the places I didn't find many worms didn't have much food or moisture available either. I think you will find your euro's will like it a little wetter than ef's. Don't drown them but they do seem to go for the wetter parts of the bin. Just my thoughts. Great question to make me think of what was happening in my bin. steve

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 8:20PM
fosteem1

I have no experience with Euros so i can't give an opinion on the worms clumping up but i thought i would add my 2cs anyway.

I am concerned about the chicken feed. Members who have used it have reported a slow buildup of salt in their bins. Salt isn't good for the worms or the garden.

I would only use the chicken feed as a treat not the main course.

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™