New to vermicomposting...and I've got gnats

bjenns719November 8, 2009

I started my first composting bin a couple of weeks ago. It's a 10 gallon bin and while I know they're not the fastest eaters, nightcrawlers were the easiest worms to find and fill my bin. I thought I followed all the necessary steps to composting, but when I opened my bin today tons of gnats flew out. I read other posts that suggested freezing your food before putting it in your bin. I tried that this past week and seem to have ended up with even more gnats. Any ideas how I can fix this? I add about a pound of food a week, I drilled tons of holes in the bin for ventilation, and add shredded newspaper bedding every few days. Am I not adding enough newspaper because the inside of the bin seems very moist? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rom.calgary.ab(3a)

If they are feeding on food on the surface of the bin then burying it when you feed may make it inaccessible to them and prevent them from laying new eggs on the food. No matter what you do to food you add later, if there are adult flies laying eggs in the food you will get more flies.

Also, if there are larvae in there now, you will likely get adult flies some time in the near future. Best you can do is prevent them from laying more eggs and kill what adults you can.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 11:15PM
fisheggs(5NY)

A pound a week seems like a lot for nightcrawlers - my redworms have a hard time with that much and my bin is about your size and has been established for 3 months now. It also may have to do with where you are keeping it and how warm it is. Mine slowed down a bit once the temperatures in my basement dropped into the high 50s.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 9:10AM
rom.calgary.ab(3a)

BTW are you talking about Euorpean Nightcrawlers or Canadian Nightcrawlers? These are totally different worms. The term nightcrawler is a "common" name and can refer to different species. Different species will have different ideal living conditions.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™