Can I use burpee's seed starting mix in my worm bin?

MichyTanNovember 12, 2012

Can I use burpee's Organic seed starting mix for my worm bin? I read the ingredients and it says it uses coconut husks and turkee manure and feathers.

http://www.burpee.com/ssm/organic-seed- ... .html#null

on the label it says 6-3-3

derived from: aerobically composted turkey litter, and hydrolyzed feather meal, and sulfate of potash

95% coconut fiber, perlite, humates and fertilizer made from turkey litter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wormsome(3a)

there is nothing in it that would be harmful as far as i can tell.

it looks like it would compact if added in large quantities. for this reason it's definitely more of a food-stock than bedding material.

be sure to test a small amount and see how they react before adding an amount your worms can't escape from.

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 11:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Haven't we learned the difference between "bedding" and "food" yet? Bedding is high in carbon. Food is high in nitrogen. What MichyTan is describing is probably balanced. It can be considered both bedding and food. Or neither, depending on how thoroughly it has been composted.

Having said that, I, like Wormsome, wouldn't use it exclusively as bedding or food. Toss some in the bin and see how the worms respond to it.

You describe 95% of what is in it. I would want to know what the other 5% is. It may be something the worms don't care for.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:27AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Moldy Coffee Grounds
I have a large plastic container of used coffee grounds...
Shaul
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Horse Manure Magic
After vermicomposting the waste of our horses for the...
mendopete
Sponsored Products
Terzani | Iceberg Suspension Light
YLighting
Lead Crystal Ball Flush Mount Ceiling Chandelier
Overstock.com
Eurofase Chrome 3 1/4" Square Gimbal Trim
Euro Style Lighting
Chiringuito Cocktail Shaker with Strainer by Alessi
$204.00 | Lumens
Castor Rug 9' x 12' - BLACK/WHITE
$2,855.00 | Horchow
Juno 21 6" Drop Opal Lens Trim
LBC Lighting
Radiax 2700K 10-Degree 21-Watt LED Beach Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Edison Chandelier Ceiling Light 10 Lights bulbs Pendant Lamp Lighting Fixture
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™