Transplanting Grape Vines

edravizzaNovember 24, 2007

I am planning to build a garage and need to move three seedless Concord grape vines that are three years old. It is the end of November and the weather is in the teens at night, but rises to the forties and fifties during the day. Are the vines dormant at this time? Can I transplant them bare root? Is there a way I can dig them up and keep them in a temporary location until Spring? How should I prune them for transplanting? These grape vines seem to thrive here, and I would like to keep them if I can. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Established grapes do not transplant well, but if you get enough of the root, you may be successful. They have a very extensive tap root and so it will be difficult for you to get all of it. The more, the better.
It will not store well over the winter, so it is best to re-plant it as soon as possible.
Grapes can,(and should) be pruned back very hard each year, so I would suggest that you cut away most of the secondary growth, transplanting the main trunk and a limited number of smaller branches. Water it well until freeze-up and through next spring and summer until it is re-established.

Ian

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maricybele(8)

How did it work out? I transplanted some concords when I adopted 3 vines at the same time you did a few years ago. There was a large tap root to work with and they all died, I didn't know til spring. Even though it's late, I would prune way down so it can concentrate on the roots. I would also visit them often and touch them often to give em good energy. I would also make sure they have lots of compost, and mulch so their roots are happy. I would also save some branches of the pruninga and put in the soil for new vines in case they dont make it.

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Sponsored Products
Blossom Garden Tote
$35.99 | zulily
Eight-Piece Pink & White Garden Care Set
$34.99 | zulily
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
Blue Three-Piece Gardening Tool Set
$8.99 | zulily
Trellis Deluxe Garden Tools Tote
$49.99 | zulily