Homemade Baking Soda Spray Now Black Spots!

nmab05June 10, 2012

I made a homemade spray for my tomatoes for early blight with baking soda, water, oil and dish soap. I removed the yellowing leaves and then sprayed the remaining with the mixture last afternoon. I went out today to find black spots forming on the leaves. I'm thinking their frying in the sun so I placed under an umbrella for shade until I can figure this out.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

If it's truly Early Blight ( A solani) your homemade baking soda spray is not going to help. The Cornell recipe, which I don't think has any oil in it, is OK for use on ornamentals but not on tomatoes.

Since I've never used baking soda on tomatoes I don't know if they are frying but I wouldn't expect individual black spots if they were. Rather, since you coated the leaves I'd expect to see whole leaves going south.

What you need is a good anti-fungal if you know that the disease is a foliar one caused by either Early Blight or Septoria Leaf spot. Neither of which actually have spots that are truly black, but the foliage diseases caused by Bacterial Speck and Spot do give black spots. And being bacterial anti-fungals don't work.

Carolyn, who also suggests that really nothing should be sprayed on tomato foliage, with few exceptions, when the sun is high in the sky b'c it can burn the leaves.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
T-5 Grow light question on seedlings that just germinated
I should no this by now, but seedlings with out true...
thebutcher
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Maker
$249.95 | FRONTGATE
Flavor It 3 in 1 Infusion Pitcher Green
Classic Hostess
Joyce Green Citrus Reamer
$7.99 | zulily
Mayo Maker
$8.99 | zulily
Compartes 10-pc. Gourmet Sea Salt Browns
$25.00 | FRONTGATE