flea emergency!

melenkoleeNovember 23, 2009

Ok, so I found ONE flea on ONE of my 3 dogs and 1 cat tonight (poor amy). I've treated all with frontline, but because the cat is allergic to flea bites, I may have to bug bomb the house. I assume the worms will have to be evacuated during the event?

Sigh. 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 fish, 1 turtle and a box o worms that may have to find warm haven for 12 hours. I'm assuming they (the worms) won't be able to withstand the poison, and I'm more whining than anything...the last time this happened I took them all to my office like a carload of refugees, lol...cross posting to the carnivorous plants forum cuz I have those too...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
r3tic

I would remove anything alive in the house before bombing.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 9:26AM
steamyb(7)

ONE flea?
Mash it and go get a beer. You live in a zoo and are worried about ONE flea?
Just kidding!
Be sure to lock the door on the way out, after setting off the bomb!
Have fun with them worms!

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 10:05AM
melenkolee

Lol, I know it sounds like an overreaction, but if the cat gets just one bite he erupts in a skin infection and his fur falls out, which means a pricey trip to the vet...no fun for either of us! I only saw one, but stopped looking after that and ran for the frontline. Looks like I caught it early enough - no flea dirt or obvious bites, so I'm hoping a good cleaning and mycodex spray on all the carpets will fix the problem :)

And I LOVE my worms! Looking forward to my first harvest!

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 10:20AM
steamyb(7)

My worms are the only "pets" I have ever had that earn their keep. All the rest are too much trouble.
Harvesting is not fun.
But 1 pound of worms will make 5 gallons of poo and 2.5 pounds of worms in 3 months. Consistently.
And no vet bills or sitters.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 9:30PM
PRO
equinoxequinox

steamyb,

"1 pound of worms will make 5 gallons of poo and 2.5 pounds of worms in 3 months. Consistently."

This is good information to have, thank you. I have never heard it put exactly that way before, but I think it is just what people want to know all the time but don't exactly know how or what to ask.

I have read all of the worm boards and all of their archives, so I don't remember what exactly your setup is. Do you have a link to your method or could you put it in a 5 sentence nutshell?

"Harvesting is not fun." We need to change this for you. Harvesting should be fun. The funnest part. Actually never having to harvest would be even better. As in flo through. Unless you are harvesting to sell worms. I would want to tear apart even a flo through from time to time just to see what the worms were doing and where they were hanging out. Maybe a core sample would do but injure the worms.

What methods of harvest have you tried? What method of harvest did you settle on? Are you still experimenting to find one you like better? I am still experimenting with growing, feeding, housing, and harvesting. Trying to build a wild harvested population up to a pound, but I keep giving away half. What volume, maybe in cups, is a pound of worms? I started with half an egg shells worth, maybe 1/32 a pound. I maybe have an oranges worth now which I estimate might weigh half a pound.

Have you tried using a burlap bag or window screen of compost and letting the worms do the work of self harvest and drop down? Do you let the compost sit to harvest the hatched babies? I find I need to wait until the babies are big enough to harvest because they are so delicate. I let the vermicompost sit for a month before harvesting again. My garden seeds are started in vermicompost, so pure vermicastings are not necessary for me.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 10:24PM
melenkolee

steamy, you're right...but they're not as cuddly ;)

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 8:50AM
steamyb(7)

Ok equinoxequinox, here we go. HereÂs a link to my wormy stuff:
http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profile/StevenBrewer
Now I will try to answer some of your questions.

["Harvesting is not fun." We need to change this for you. Harvesting should be fun. The funnest part. Actually never having to harvest would be even better.]
___I agree completely with the last statement___
What methods of harvest have you tried? All of them and they are all bad. Mixed results concerning abilities of removing worms from poo and all methods of harvesting require hands-on.
A friend and I are working on a self-harvesting household flow-thru reactor to be used indoor or outside. The design phase is finished. This unit will work best for experienced wormers (those of us who donÂt dig up the worms every other day) and who are sick of (or have better things to do than) playing in worm poo. Prototypes and field trials are next.
I personally feel that if we can eliminate the "yuck" factor to vermiculture, then everyone would want to have worms.
And melenkolee...agreed, but cuddling can cost 'ya.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
cow manure
I've always heard about horse manure but I've only...
chazz1100
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Horse Manure Magic
After vermicomposting the waste of our horses for the...
mendopete
Worm Sounds
Everyone I mention this to thinks I am crazy ;) I know...
mendopete
worms won't leave bottom tier of worm factory
I got a worm factory for Christmas. I had 5 gal bucket...
dwighthe
Sponsored Products
Pure Digital 13 1/2" Wide Black LED Solar Light
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Jewel Sapphire Current Wall Sconce
$174.99 | Bellacor
Dimond D1865 Rowley Floor Lamp - D1865
$418.00 | Hayneedle
Multicolor Black Cotton Chindi Area Rug
Cost Plus World Market
"Between Us" Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$1,375.00 | Horchow