Vinegar to kill weeds, grass

babesy(Zone 7 North Texas)April 25, 2013

I listen to 660 AM on Sunday mornings which is a Dallas station, to a program called The Dirt Doctor. He advocates using vinegar to spray weeds - 10% vinegar. I was shopping at Marshall Grain and saw a jug of 20% vinegar. Figuring, if 10% is good, 20% is better..........I bought a big jug.

I have lots of grass growing in my flower bed where the big roses form the back border and then there is a gap (walkway) and then flowers. The grass is in the gap. I spent days last summer pulling it out (we just moved in) and it's back. Can I spray with 20 or 10%, either, and if I do, will it kill anything I want to put in nearby? Lots of water to dilute after the grass has died? Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daninthedirt(Cent TX; USDA z8a, HZ10, Sunset z30)

Just a reminder that 20% acetic acid is pretty strong stuff. Borderline "irritant" and "corrosive". So you ought to be careful using it as a broad spectrum herbicide. Muriatic acid will do the same thing, though it isn't sold as an herbicide. Keep both concentrated acids away from concrete, as they'll etch them pretty rapidly. Both are otherwise environmentally friendly, not leaving any bad stuff behind.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:57PM
phoenix7801

Vinegar and orange oil works like a charm. I think its like 1 oz 20% vinegar and 1 oz orange oil to a gallon. Don't quote me though lol

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:03PM
GailWright(7b)

Will it kill nut grass?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:24PM
robyn_tx(8 Dallas)

I use vinegar a lot to kill weeds. Works great. Except on the dagnabit purple wandering jew which I can't stand and a nuclear explosion won't kill it. Grrr..

Nut sedge ... well, problem there is that the vinegar is going to kill everything around it too. The best success I've had with ridding sod of sedge is a daily regimen of a glass of wine and 15 minutes of pulling. Over the course of several weeks, you've relaxed with some vino every day and pulled buckets o' sedge.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:40PM
phyllisb2008(8 DFW)

I use white vinegar 10% 2 cups with 2 TBL of salt and 2 TBL spoons of Dawn. It works

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:27PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; USDA z8a, HZ10, Sunset z30)

FWIW, see ...

http://www.ccerensselaer.org/horticulture-program/Turfgrass-Research/Vinegar-Herbicide.aspx

It appears that high concentration acetic acid works better than low concentration, but mainly in the long term. It is a significantly more expensive means of control than Roundup.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:11PM
phoenix7801

I know Bob Webster has a recipe for killing nutsedge that's just mollases and water. Its 1/2 cup in one gallon of water. Spray your nutgrass with this at two week intervals. Eventually it'll be gone.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:55AM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

I had no luck with vinegar on nut grass. It didn't kill anything I sprayed it on, for that matter. I used the household kitchen variety. I'll have to look at the label for the strength. I wouldn't wan to leave it in the ground long enough to spray it every two weeks and I would be afraid of ants.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:27PM
denisew(z8 TX)

One way to prevent over-spraying any kind of herbicide is to take an empty soda bottle with the bottom cut off and cap removed. Cover the weed with the bottle and spray it through the opening at the top. You can use plastic milk jugs if you have something larger to spray or the 20 oz. soda bottles for small weeds.

For the nut sedge, I use dry molasses. TAMU has proven that molasses makes the roots stop growing. I used to have a good sized patch of nut sedge in my backyard and over the last few years have applied dry molasses and also use an organic fertilizer with molasses. Most of it has stopped growing out there. I have only seen two sprigs of it this year so far. Plus, it is much safer around pets and people.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™