Please ID this plant - has tiny blue/purple berries

wendywc(9)April 25, 2008

Next to my gardenia, about 2 to 3 feet tall and 3 to 4 feet wide. I did not plant this; a bird must have for me. It's been growing since January.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

It is a weed, if you do not get it in time, it will grow into a bush like you have. It has a great root system, so soak the ground before you pull it up. You will be seeing alot of babies, I have been trying to get rid of it for years, it grows in sun or shade, and it grows really fast. Barbra,

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 6:54PM
denisew(z8 TX)

It is Solanum nigrum - a member of the nightshade family. The common name is blackberry nightshade. I did an image google on nightshade and came across a photo that was the same as your flowers and sure enough, that was the plant. It is poisonous to people, but birds eat the fruit with no problems.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 11:25PM
wendywc(9)

Hmmm, I think I'll pull it and put in the bare spot, far corner of my yard. Thanks for the ID!

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 12:23PM
missinformation

It's also called pokeweed, I think. We had one come up last year, and i really liked the way it looked. The chickens hopped up and down until they'd eaten every last berry, then I pulled it.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 5:22PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Pokeberry has long old drupes of berries and is edible if you get the leaves young and boil it a few times. This is Deadly Nightshade and will kill ya! Here's a pokeberry pic.
I love pokeberry. It's invasive and all but the birds LOVE it so it's fitting with my aggressive native xeriscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: pokeberry

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 5:35PM
missinformation

That's what I had alright. I had forgotten the red stalk and stems. Regardless, I wouldn't eat either, but it was funny seeing the chickens hopping up and down to get the highest berries, and I thought it was kind of pretty with everything else in my crazy backyard.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 8:34PM
wendywc(9)

eh, I think I killed it on the transplant to the corner of the yard. The leaves are all wilted, but maybe it'll come back in a week or two.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:14AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I'll bet even if the parent plant croaks you'll probably get babies in the spring next year. PJ

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 12:03PM
denisew(z8 TX)

I had pokeweed come up next to our basketball goal next to the driveway one year. I didn't know what it was and let it grow. When I found out it would reseed all over, I pulled it out. The plant in the picture is definitely not pokeweed.

Wendy - I'm sure if you plant a couple of those berries that were ripe, they would grow for you.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™