I think I lost my blackfoot daisy

marti8aApril 22, 2014

I was hoping it just wasn't out yet, but I just saw melvalena's pictures and her blackfoot daisy is big and blooming, so I guess mine is toast. Bummer. I just can't seem to keep these alive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msrose

Maybe there's still hope. I can barely see mine coming up. It isn't anywhere near putting its first blooms out.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:01PM
ruthz

I can't keep them alive either but I just bought another one today.
I'm going to plant it in an area that I almost never water and see what happens.
I'm sure my biggest problem is no full sun area's.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:02PM
msrose

Where did melvalena post her picture? I can't find it. I forgot to mention when I was at Marshall Grain this past weekend, the lady there told me blackfoot daisy doesn't like it's roots disturbed. She said to either take it out of the pot and plant it as is or cut a slit with a razor blade in each corner.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:18PM
marti8a

It's on the gallery msrose.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:14PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

Per one of the plant answer people at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center, they don't like the heavy clay soil we have, not in the winter when it stays damp. I lost all of mine this winter and need to figure out how to amend the soil in that area so that they'll overwinter properly. They're fine through the summer and fall, but once winter comes...I guess the ground just stays too wet for them to handle. I'm not sure how, since I didn't water and all they got was rain, but they WERE at the bottom of a slight hill, at the edge of the sidewalk. I'm going to blame the December ice storm. :(

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 4:34PM
andbowen(7b/8a DFW TX)

Someone at North Haven told me it was the ice storm that did them in - the soil got super saturated, then froze... bad news. All of mine died. I thought I had them raised up enough in soil well amended with compost, but I was wrong. Time to start over. Oh well.... I love them so much that I am willing to replant every year if that's what it takes. This year I will collect seeds to winter sow just in case. Just FYI - Calloways has quart size BFD for $5.99. I typically don't shop there, but it was better than paying $10 each for a gallon pot elsewhere.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 2:04PM
melvalena

hmmm.. it must have been an old thread/photo because I don't have any black foot daisies here at the new house. (at least not that I know of...)

What thread did you see the photo in? I used to have one at the old house in Coppell. It was in one of the front yard beds.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:31PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

Those of you with clay soils might try adding expanded shale in addition to compost - it really opens up the clay.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:36PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I think that it may have been Roselee's blackfoot daisies that she saw. San Antonio is a world away from North Central Texas :-)

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:20PM
marti8a

You're right, it is roselee, in the Things Are Coming Along Nicely thread. I don't know how I switched the names, probably read another post after seeing that one.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™