About 'Feline'

stefanb8(z7 MD)February 2, 2004

I was wondering if this violet might be useful in breeding with hardier sweet violets since it's single; I'm sure interest in this subject has come up before, but I couldn't find any information. I've been guessing that Parmas might have the same chromosome number as V. odorata (2n=20) but their usual relative sterility would seem to be an obstacle. It would be lovely to have violets with Parma fragrance that don't require houseplant culture here. What do you think? Nathalie, if you're out there, has 'Feline' been a more reliable seed producer than other Parmas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nathalie

Dear Stefan,

Unfortunately, Féline never gaved me seeds but I could notice it makes a bit of pollen..Surely usefull to try crossings...I have had seeds only on another single parma ( 'Fée Jalucine')No results yet about the seeedling as the young plants are difficult to grow. So slow but healthy and suddendly dying out!
I would encourage you in doing various crossings as I think there is still a lot to do in the violet world!
Let us keep informed

Best wishes
Nathalie

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 4:20PM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

Nathalie, thank you! I may just give it a try. I agree there's much work to be done yet, and it would be fun to be a part of it. I wonder if there is an odd number of chromosomes in the Parma violets...?

Stefan

Bookmark   February 24, 2004 at 4:08PM
nathalie

Hi Stefan

I've been diging out specially for you some informations on parmas chromosomes!..They are 2n=20.

Bookmark   February 24, 2004 at 4:53PM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

Thanks again Nathalie! That does help - Viola odorata has the same chromosome number. I just hope that it is possible to combine its hardiness with Parma fragrance. There's only one way to find out, I guess!

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
whats wrong with my violet?
My mother in law has had this lovely african violet...
Sairsyfairy
Viola 'Columbine'
Hi. I live in Michigan, zone 6, and had what I thought...
pondluvr
Viola x wittrockiana
Where does one get the Viola x wittrockiana in Sacramento,...
thorspippi
stinky violets
Well, I *finally* managed to obtain a plant of Viola...
Ted - Maine - 5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™