Violets for Central Florida?

springtime_fl(z9 Tampa, FL)March 11, 2007

Hi, I am new to this forum. I love violets and thought someone here could help me. I used to live in Minnesota and had 3 types of violets. 1. white w/purple centers 2. yellow 3. lavender? . I have no idea what the names are. I then moved to Louisiana and brought the white w/purple centers with me, also the yellow ones. About 5 years ago we moved to the Tampa, Fl area and I brought them with me agian. I did not expect much success with them but I could not leave them behind. I planted them in my shadiest spot and they are doing ok but not thriving. I do not want to give up on them. Does anyone know of types that can live in central Florida? I did get one from a Florida Garden Webber that she called Fragrant violet. That is all I know about it. It is doing well.

Thanks.

Gabriele

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hi !

Your white with purple center violet is surely sororia Alice Witter :-)
I guess your violets you put on the shadiest spot will appreciate some more sun, that's all :-) The point is not that violets enjoy shade place but wet ground. A part shade place is the best :-)
About fragrant violet -> odorata but which one ?? (some cultivar are very strong some others are not) :-) Odorata can be as much invasive as sororia...
I don't see any particular problem with having violets in Florida. Many are living there (native I mean), see the link :-)

All the best
Thierry :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: viola in Florida

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Viola labradorica 'purpurea' = V. riviniana? (what's the story)
Just following up on a comment someone made in a previous...
lrobins
Identification help
Found this growing wild in our woods in Northwest Arkansas....
dendrologist
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
Violet Barn!
Thrilled to have found Violet Barn. I never realized...
susancarol
Viola banksii- Baby Blue
Still looking. An extraordinary soul sent seed, at...
bogturtle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™