Violet plant health question

david_in_ks(z5 KS)March 26, 2008

Greetings:

My Queen Charlotte violets are now blooming heavily (at least for me), with nearly a dozen blooms on a single plant. What seems odd is that the snow has only been gone a few weeks, and the plants are still not much more than a low, weather-beaten rosette of foliage less than two inches high. The flowers are also very small. Is this normal for Queen Charlotte? I thought that this violet would fill out quite a bit more. What do they need to grow more vigorously?

The local wild violets that avidly colonize the edges of the yard haven't even started putting up their leaves yet. And by the time they bloom, they grow to 6-8 inches tall.

I'm in northeastern Kansas, southern Zone 5 on the old USDA zone map, northern Zone 6 on the new USDA map. Winter was wet, with much more snow cover than has been common for several years. (March, though, has been a bit dry.)

Thanks,

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hi !

What ever you do, your local wild violets will always be taller than viola odorata 'königin Charlotte', moreover if they are sororia. I'm not good at inches (sorry, we don't use it in Europe ;oP) but 2 (5 cm) is ok, not a shame for an odorata in a yard. It can become bigger in a pot with good compost.

All the best - Thierry :-)

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 5:59AM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

More moderate temperatures (as spring progresses) and more moisture availability/humidity does help lead to larger flowers. I had them blooming here from early February, and the first ones were definitely not the cream of the crop.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 7:57PM
david_in_ks(z5 KS)

Thanks, Thierry, Stefan!

I do remember that the Queen Charlotte's are re-bloomers here, so perhaps there's still hope for more substantial blooms later.

I'm not certain what species the local violets fit in-- V. pedata, V. pedatifida, and V. sororia are all native to the area, according to Flora of the Great Plains.

David

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Viola ordata 'Czar' does anyone grow this species?
I ordered the seeds from Swallowtail, I have Winter...
ladyrose65
Looking for sweet violet expert to talk to
I'm a hobby gardener who's interested in violets and...
melissa_thefarm
viola odorata, possible to grow indoors?
Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Viola Odorata...
Puchinita5
Talking about named violas
If anyone is interested in discussing named violas...
marguerite_gw
Name of violet on violet forum
Can anyone tell me the name of the violet at the top...
karan_in_oregon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™