Sago palms are dividing

purple_is_a_fruitApril 28, 2009

I have 3 very large (~6ft) sagos in my front yard. Last year i noticed that one of them bloomed (right word?) strangely, the leaves were intermingled and didn't spread out like the others.

This year, I have realized that the head has actually divided into 2 separate heads and are now growing out in opposite directions. This is going to change the symmetry that I have going in the front yard. Is there anything I can do to fix this back to the way it was, apart from taking an axe to one of the heads? And even if I did that, won't the other one still grow off to one direction?

If you can't tell, I'm knew at this, but any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

-D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katyroadpink(8a)

Can you post a picture of the two-headed Sago?

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 8:37PM
purple_is_a_fruit

This one faces towards the yard.

This one faces towards the street.

This is a side view perpendicular to the heads. You can see how the leaves (stems?) are coming out awkwardly. The heads are still nubs right now which is why I considered chopping one of them. Any ideas?

-D

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 7:09PM
purple_is_a_fruit

I hate to bug everyone with this again but...does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my 2 headed muppet sago?

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 11:44AM
allen_gw

you are lucky to have the double,do not cut it just enjoy it Allen

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 1:22PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Congratualtions! It a happy mature male sago and it's blooming! Sagos are either male or female and the specimen you've pictured appears to be putting up the male part that will look like a very tall pine cone. It will topple over in a few weeks and life will go back to normal.

Here's a picture of the bloom on mine from a couple of years ago:

It's blooming again this year and the bud is about the size of the one on your palm.

The female sago flower looks like a fluffy nest of brown eggs which hatch orange. It doesn't bloom as often as the male one does.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 10:49PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

By the way, the bloom does seem to come out more on one side than the other as you've noticed, but my palm does not appear to be lopsided or to have split into two branches or sections when it is not in flower. It's been blooming for about four or five years.

Other than trying to balance the appearance by carefully prunning of the fronds I guess there is not much you can do but let mother nature have her way, and to just try to see it as 'interesting.'

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 11:37PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

After trimming mine back one time, I realized it was a job that I didn't want to do again. So, I just let it go, and now, 13 years later, it is prettier in its natural state than the well manicured ones. At least I think so.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Setting your profile to let people message you ...
With the old GW my preferences were set to let everyone...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown...
sylviatexas2
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™