Mimosa Summer Chocolate in Houston TX z9a

bossyvossyApril 2, 2013

A few years have gone by since this cultivar was first introduced. Now that the furor has calmed, I'm wondering if you still love your plant (or not)

I have been horrified and overwhelmed by the enthusiastic growth of ruellia, 4 o'clock and castor bean, I dont need a mimosa that will remind me of those previous nightmares. Now that u have a few years' experience w/ your m. Summer Chocolate, can u tell me if Summer Chocolate will be a nightmare?

Tks for your comments

This post was edited by bossyvossy on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachplant(9b)

mine is still in a pot, I just bought it on sae at the end of last year. Time will tell. Luckily I knew castor bean was a tree in our climate.

I rue the day I planted ruellia.
Tally Ho!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:47PM
nialialea

Our neighbor was given a ruellia a decade ago by a well-meaning friend. It has long since abandoned her crew-maintained premises for my side beds, the lawn, the scrubby area beside the garage where nothing grows, the rock-covered deep shade behind the fence...

I don't understand how stores can keep selling it, not just because it's invasive, but because it can't be profitable. Sell one plant and everyone on the block has one.

The only nice thing about it is that it is easy to spot and pulls out without too much fuss if you can get a good grip.

Don't know anything about Mimosa Chocolate. The dozens of seedlings I yank out of every cultivated space around my house every year are just green.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:40PM
Lynn Marie

I wanted one when they came out too but they were too high. Anxious to see the answers you get here.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™