spotted violet

sashprd(z6CT)April 25, 2005

I have some "spotted" violets in my side yard which are nowhere near the white, blue or yellow ones in my backyard. I would like to know if there is a species of violet like this or perhaps it did manage to cross-breed. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture at this address: http://groups.msn.com/SasandGang/plants.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=82

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
etii(France 8)

Hello !

Easy man :-)) Too much maybe ;-)
Your viola on the picture is named sororia freckles. It's lovely, isn't it ?
You can make more photos :-) What about the yellow ones ?!

Take care :-)
Thierry.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 6:37PM
sashprd(z6CT)

Thank you Thierry. Nice to finally have a name for the violet. It is a lovely plant and so prolific in reseeding itself.
If you would like to see the yellow ones I took a picture and this is the URL: http://groups.msn.com/SasandGang/plants.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=86

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 11:16AM
etii(France 8)

Hi !
Yeh freckles is cute, maybe a little bit too prolific: I tear off many seedlings not to be invaded and each time it breaks my heart ;-)

WoOoOoOoOoOow !! Your yellow one is totaly gorgeous :-)) GOD !!! I'm trying to have one with seeds I bought (viola Lobata, viola Sheltonii and viola Douglasii) hope I'll be lucky and finally will get at least one but yellow violets seem more difficult, donno why !
Tell me more about the behaviour of your unknown yellow viola (is someone can give a name ?): it is easy ? Does it make lot of seeds ? Does it make runners (stolons) ?

Glad to speak with you :-)
Take care.
Thierry.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 5:54PM
sashprd(z6CT)

Hello Thierry: My yellow violets are not as prolific as the purple and white one but they are slowly spreading all over my backyard. They make a lot of seeds; no runners. I have been slowly transplanting them and or seeding them around my yard but don't do anything to them in particular except putting slow release fertilizer out there for all the plants in the spring. Perhaps I could send you some of the seeds? I'm not sure what the restrictions are on sending seeds to other countries but we could give it a try if you would like. I don't know what the name is but will start researching it to find out.
You are an American living in France? Your English has the American idioms...
Sandy

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 7:03PM
sashprd(z6CT)

Thierry:
Here is a link to the yellow viola:
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H93.htm
Sandy

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 7:45PM
etii(France 8)

G'day Sandy :-)

You found the name ! BINGO ! U're the best.
I'm definitively French: just spent quite a long time with Murcan people and got some really bad habit but good time not speakin' British English ;-) So far away sometimes...
Well, what about an exchange ? Tell me witch oneS would please you: viola Sulphurea, viola Jooi, viola pumila,viola Odorata, viola Pedatifida Alba (that one may want to go back to the country ;-), viola "coeur d'Alasace"...I've got different sororia too: maybe better for your hardiness zone: rubra, alba, Gabriela and Alice winter. Except rubra, I don't have the sororia's seeds yet,right now still have flowers.
U can use my mail: etii@free.fr

It's up to U :-)
Take care.
Thierry.

PS: restriction on sending seeds: what are U talkin' 'bout ? ;-) LOL. Can U imagine violas invading the whole world thanks to seeds !!! Sounds great, doesn't it ? :-))) Anyway, restriction must be on plant 'cause of sanitary problems -mainly 'cause of insects I guess...I'm not sure about seeds but don't care much :-pp

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 3:24AM
More Discussions
Viola banksii- Baby Blue
Still looking. An extraordinary soul sent seed, at...
bogturtle
Viola labradorica 'purpurea' = V. riviniana? (what's the story)
Just following up on a comment someone made in a previous...
lrobins
Trying to Identifty type of violet
Last year I was shopping for some flowers at Lowe's...
yelena79
Mystery Violet (true Viola species)
Any assistance with the identification of a mystery...
rufino
Violet Barn!
Thrilled to have found Violet Barn. I never realized...
susancarol
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Argoyle 2-Piece Dining Side Chairs - Dark Oak / Black - IDF
$275.70 | Hayneedle
Recife Wicker Stitch Black/ Cocoa Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV75L-AB Landscape Lighting Spot
$97.20 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Annadale Crimson 8 ft. Round
Home Depot
Radiax 3000K 10-Degree 4-Watt LED Bronze Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Longfellow Outdoor Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$179.00 | Lumens
Knoll | Tulip Stool
YLiving.com
Large Violet Rhombus Night Light Hurricane Table Lamp